Choose style:

Author Topic: Can this be used as a WISP client router?  (Read 5772 times)

Offline remixedcat

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Can this be used as a WISP client router?
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:21:52 pm »
As the topic title indicates....

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Can this be used as a WISP client router?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:47:19 am »
As the topic title indicates....

Unfortunately the terminology "WISP" means different things to different people.  I have always known it to mean "Wireless Internet Service Provider".   For some users of this terminology this means connecting their Router to their ISP via a 3G/4G USB Dongle,  while other people use this same terminology to refer to connecting to another network via "Wi-Fi",  and using that "Wi-Fi" connection,  such that all upstream Internet traffic is routed via the Almond's "Wi-Fi" connection. 

The Almond does not provide a USB port,  so can not be used with USB 3G/4G Cellular dongles.  It can however be configured to use the "Wi-Fi" interface as the "default gateway".  Check out the Beta "Wireless WAN" feature.  Simply check to see that this feature is listed in the TouchUI of the Router.   

Check your Firmware to ensure you are running Firmware revision: AL1-R196-L299-W33 (or better).

Graphic courtesy of "Pete"

We have two modes and in both cases it applies to the wireless connection.
If you're using the standard Range Extender setting, then everything is handled by the main router like DHCP etc.
If you're on the other hand using the Wireless WAN mode, all of this will be handled by the Almond. Note that this is still in beta.

If you want to use Ethernet, we have a Wireless AP (Access Point) feature that makes the Almond turn off the DHCP server etc. and act as a simple access point, but you can for example still use the Ethernet ports if you need to attach more wired devices.

I personally have my Almond setup as simple "wired" WAP,  so I'm using the "Wireless AP" feature.  There are three different modes that potentially could provide the functionality,  depending on what you are trying to accomplish.  Your original question is very vague about what you are trying to accomplish,  so I'm not sure which of these solutions you are looking for.   

Basicly your choices are:
  • Wireless AP mode
  • Range Extender mode
  • Wireless WAN mode

Please tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish,  so that we can make the correct recommendation for you.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:59:43 am by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 17 queries.