bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Door Locks as triggers  (Read 5974 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Door Locks as triggers
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:02 pm »
I was wondering if it was possible, at some point, that connected door locks or dead bolts could be used to trigger events, such as with rules, based on how the device was either locked or unlocked. If for example, I unlock my door with the keypad by entering my pin number I'd like it to turn off my door sensors in the house, but if it is opened manually using a key , I'd like the sensors to stay on until acknowledged otherwise, either by the app or lcd screen. Likewise with locking. If I lock it from outside, using the pinpad, activate door sensors and motion sensors. If I activate it from inside, by turning the knob, like when going to bed, activate just the door sensors no motion detectors. And if activated from any app or ui, leave all other devices / rules in their current state or as already set. Dunno if this is possible, or a pipe dream or not, but I think it would add great value to the automation side of the system AND really play well with the security aspects of the system. This could obviously work well for sensors other than door or window sensors for triggering certain lights or etc.

LGNilsson

Re: Door Locks as triggers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:06:09 am »
It doesn't work in R069cb?

Technically anything should work as a trigger as long as it's supported in the rules UI.

What you're asking for is a bit complex, as I'm not sure we can tell the difference if a lock is unlocked via the keypad or with a key, or by using the app for that matter. I can't say I've seen this in the lock manuals as something that's being reported by the locks, so it's not really a shortcoming from our side, but rather to how the locks work.

Offline rldreams

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:40 am »
I can't speak for all locks,but I know the Schlage touchscreens only report their status as locked/unlocked. I have used them with different systems and never found a way to have them differentiate how they were unlocked, keypad, key or knob.
 I wish there was, that would stop me from turning on interior lights when leaving and turning on porch lights when somebody enters the house. On the bright side it does turn on the lights in the hall so you can find your coat when you unlock the door to leave. Just make sure you get out before it locks again in 30 seconds,or you'll be standing in the dark until you unlock the door again.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:36 pm »
I was not sure how it was reported that's partly why I brought it up. I tried the door locks (kwikset) as triggers on the first beta it didn't work then but haven't tried since. I may have been using the link bulbs as actions though so maybe that was the reason as i learned later those aren't fully working in the rules.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.