Choose style:

Author Topic: Securifi Sensor Battery Life  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Securifi Sensor Battery Life
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:49:18 am »
I've had my securifi sensors up for about a week and 2 of the door sensors already are reporting a low battery (actually 1 was reporting low batter the day after I installed).  Is the battery life really that poor, is there a software issue?

LGNilsson

Re: Securifi Sensor Battery Life
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:34 am »
Which sensor are you specifically talking about here, as we've shipped four different battery powered sensors.
We've been testing them out and so far most of them have been running constantly for 6 months no problems.
It's possible that the battery/ies you got were damaged somehow and this could be the reason why, but the short answer is no, the battery life shouldn't be that bad.
Some sensors will show low battery when just added as they use a lot more current in the pairing process, but they should return to normal after no more than 24h.

Offline NW_Routing

• Backer
Securifi Door Sensor - Low Battery
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:19:40 pm »
Not sure that this belongs in the bugs area, but it seems rather soon for my Almond+ to be reporting a Low Battery status on the door sensor purchased from Securifi after only 3 days of use and minimal state changes.  Could the distance of the sensor be putting an abnormal amount of strain on the battery? (about 30 feet with two walls between almond and sensor)  The sensor added just fine and has shown the open/closed state changes flawlessly so it's keeping in communication with the Almond just fine.  Thank you for any help.

PK

Re: Securifi Door Sensor - Low Battery
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »
Hi NW,

As mentioned in one of our previous posts, we've been testing them out and so far most of them have been running constantly for 6 months no problems.
It's possible that the battery/ies you got were damaged somehow and this could be the reason why, but the short answer is no, the battery life shouldn't be that bad.
Some sensors will show low battery when just added as they use a lot more current in the pairing process, but they should return to normal after no more than 24h.

Regards,

PK

Offline Blueiris8

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:47:49 pm »
I was referencing the door sensors.  FYI, now a 3rd door sensor is showing low battery.  Seems incredibly fast drain on the batteries.  However, even though the first sensors have had a low battery for a while, neither have died yet.  Seems like very odd behavior.

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
Ok, I'll follow up with the company we sourced the sensors from.
It seems like we've might've gotten a bad batch of batteries as we've had a few of this as I mentioned going for about six months now.

Offline jaweb66

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 02:39:24 pm »
I'm going to have to jump on to the band wagon on this too. I have seen the same thing with the door sensor I installed and linked. Low battery showed 2 days after installing.  I have a second sensor not opened yet that I will install and report back later.

Offline gof

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 04:03:28 pm »
I'm going to have to jump on to the band wagon on this too. I have seen the same thing with the door sensor I installed and linked. Low battery showed 2 days after installing.  I have a second sensor not opened yet that I will install and report back later.
Measure the battery voltage on the unopened (unused) battery before you install it and report it here.  If it's an old/bad battery it will likely be low voltage to start.

Offline christiangraves

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
I purchased 11 sensors and I can confirm that 6 batteries are already showing as Low Battery like the others. I was actually surprised that the sensors came with batteries. I could of sworn I read early on that they couldn't ship the batteries with the sensors because they are Lithium-Ion or something to that effect.

Offline jaweb66

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:31:38 pm »
Measure the battery voltage on the unopened (unused) battery before you install it and report it here.  If it's an old/bad battery it will likely be low voltage to start.
Great suggestion! After checking the voltage of the unopened battery I got 3.15v. I went to the sensor with the low battery and when I removed the cover it looked as though the battery may have gotten dislodged during the installation. Not enough to keep it from functioning but enough to affect the low battery sensor. That battery read 3.12v and after putting everything back together, sensor no longer shows low battery and is functioning fine. I would suggest checking / reinstalling batteries just to eliminate this possibility. Hope this helps.

Offline PhilShifley

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 02:28:38 pm »
My SecuriFi water sensor is reporting low battery after only 3 days of use. Anyone else have this issue with the water sensor?

Is the firmware wrong? Are the sensors checking in too often? Or are the sensors built incorrectly? Or did they just get shipped with almost dead batteries?

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Window & Door Sensor Battery Life
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 11:09:28 pm »
How has everybody been doing with the battery life of their Window & Door sensors?
I got 4 of the Securifi ones and had one listed as Low at the very beginning (it is still working) and a second register as low after about 2 weeks.
besides these, does anyone else have any examples or experience of their own on how long you can expect these type of sensors to last? Curious about whether it is worth my effort to hack them for a wall wart power supply.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 01:36:32 am »
My SecuriFi water sensor is reporting low battery after only 3 days of use. Anyone else have this issue with the water sensor?

Is the firmware wrong? Are the sensors checking in too often? Or are the sensors built incorrectly? Or did they just get shipped with almost dead batteries?

The battery life is supposed to be at least 1 year for all of these sensors.
We haven't had any up and running for that long yet that I'm aware of, but as I mentioned above, we've been stress testing a few PIR sensors in the office and none of them are reporting low battery after nearly six months in use.
I've informed our partner about this and sent them a link to this forum thread.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:27:07 am by Lars »

Offline obocher

• Backer
Re: Securifi Door Sensor - Low Battery
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 09:19:47 am »
I'm having the same problem...except my battery was low from the day I opened the package.

Offline christiangraves

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 08:28:00 pm »
Lars, any update from the vendor? After 3 weeks 6 of my sensors are still showing low battery. I see what appears to be a date code printed on them : "OCT 13 JE". Not too old, so likely defective?

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 18 queries.