Choose style:

Author Topic: Set up as wired access point  (Read 19122 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Set up as wired access point
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:07 pm »
This has been asked several times but there doesn't appear to be an answer yet as everyone's almond apparently worked after a reboot / firmware update. I have tried several times to set my device up as a wired access point to increase the strength of the signal. However, each time I go to the access point option in the touch screen the device completes a factory reset and nothing changes once I get it all logged in again. Am becoming very frustrated and looking for advice. Thanks!!

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
Re: Set up as wired access point
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:42:12 pm »
This has been asked several times but there doesn't appear to be an answer yet as everyone's almond apparently worked after a reboot / firmware update. I have tried several times to set my device up as a wired access point to increase the strength of the signal. However, each time I go to the access point option in the touch screen the device completes a factory reset and nothing changes once I get it all logged in again. Am becoming very frustrated and looking for advice. Thanks!!

Lets see if I can help you with this.... 

• Check connections:
  • Connect a Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports on your main Router,  and connect the other end to the gray Ethernet port on the Almond. 
    Okay,  now that the cabling is in place.  Open the TouchUI,  and select "More" multiple times until the "Access Point" option becomes visible:
  • Select "Access Point"
  • "Enable" Access Point Mode:
  • Select the "Home";   Screen will change back to the main screen:
  • Select "Status".
  • Grab your Laptop,  and try to connect to the Almond,  using the settings shown on the Status screen. 
    Hopefully at this point you'll be connected.   (You could stop at this point,  but lets give you almond the same Wireless settings as your main router.... doing so will allow your Laptop to wander within your space,  and it will select the Router/Access Point with strongest signal).
  • Exit the"Status"  screen,  which will return you to the Home screen:
  • Select the "Wireless" tile. 
  • Change the SSID and password to match the same as your Main Router.
    Exit the "Wireless" tile,  and return to the "Home" screen,  and then select "Status" again.  (Check your settings).
  • Grab your Laptop and attempt to connect to your normal SSID,.  It should connect to the "nearest" Router/Access Point.   Locate your Laptop near the Almond,  and attempt to connect.  (It should connect to the Almond).  Relocate your Laptop near the main Router,  and again attempt to connect.  (It should connect to the main Router).
Notes:  For best results you will want your Router and your Almond using the same SSID/password,  but will want them on "different" channels.  In order to ensure that the signals don't overlap,  you will want to keep the well apart.  In most Regions there are only 3 channels that don't cause overlaps.  1, 6 and 11.   Choose one of these channels for your Main Router,  and a different channel (from this same list) for the Almond.  As long as the SSID/password, and security settings match between these two devices,  all your Wireless devices will be be able to "wander" between the Router and Access Point (Almond in your case),  and "auto connect" to the one with the stongest signal,  regardless of which channel it is operating on.   

Anyway,  I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further issues,  please do not hestitate to ask more questions.  Good luck! 

Patrick.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:43:36 pm by Lars »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:51 am »
Thank you for the help. I was able to get it working. Great job with the step by step and images, it is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Offline Deluxxxe

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:50:02 pm »
I think this may be the answer to my question about the WDTV media server connecting to content on my computer- can you confirm this?

Offline Deluxxxe

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:54:32 pm »
Or maybe not...

Any way to accomplish this WITHOUT running cat 5 between the 2 routers???

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:03 pm »
Or maybe not...

Any way to accomplish this WITHOUT running cat 5 between the 2 routers???

You can setup the connection between the router devices via Wi-Fi,  but this means setting up "Repeater" mode rather than "WAP" mode.  This is possible,  and your Almond fully supports "Repeater" mode.  The problem with "Repeater mode" is that it effectively cuts the "throughput" in half,  as every data packet has to be received,  and then "re-transmitted". 

From a "convenience" standpoint,  "Repeater" mode is easier to setup,  as no wiring is required,   but the "performance penalty" of a repeater makes it undesirable if a "wired" connection is possible.   If you can connect the router devices together via CAT5 (or better) you will get far better performance.   I personally use "Wireless Access Point" mode in order to expand my Wi-Fi coverage area. 

If you want to discuss "Repeater" mode,  please start a new thread,  as this thread is about "Wireless Access Point" mode,  so I would like to keep this thread "on-topic" with it's "subject".  I would be more than happy to discuss "Repeater Mode" with you in a "new" thread.   I don't personally use "Repeater" mode anywhere in my network,  (due to aforementioned "performance penalty" of doing so),  but I am more than happy to discuss it with you,  and answer any questions you might have.   

Thank-you for purchasing your Almond. 
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline ammarjabr03

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 08:43:48 pm »
Hi - I have setup the access point and matched the SSID and Pass with my current router, the access point is hardwires as I have ports all over the house...however, how can I test the "take your laptop and go next to the almond, it should connect to the almond then go to the main router and it should connect to the main router"....if they are both the same SSID what indicator do I have to see what my laptop or device is actually connecting to? Thanks.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 09:18:07 pm »
@ ammarjabr03,

Seamless roaming won't be happening with 100% synchronization, however, try to check the security and encryption for both the networks.

Offline SpecialEd

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:52:15 pm »
I have followed the setup above and it works fine but I can no longer log into either router via a browser? I used to log into my Comcast router via 10.10.10.1 and the Almond via 10.10.10.254. Neither of these works any more.

Addendeum:  Ok, I realized the Almond is now 10.10.10.1 but I still can't access my main router.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:59:21 pm by SpecialEd »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »
@ SpecialEd,

Ensure that the Almond is setup in Access Point mode. Under Web Administer you would find the URL and credentials through which you can access the Web UI of Almond. If you would like to access the Web UI of main router then you can use the default IP address of your router and that should still work.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck