Choose style:

Author Topic: "hue" remote support?  (Read 6030 times)

Offline Mike

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
"hue" remote support?
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »
I just picked up somewhere that hue support is coming soon, great to hear!
Started to wonder where my current remotes I use to control my lights fit in this picture. Its a remote control similar to the ones that come with the living color lights that are bit more common. There are varieties out there with color/brightness ring/buttons and a number of scene buttons. I won 2 kits at work with 2 dimmable CFL lights and 1 remote, kind of a predecessor to the current hue products.
With the remote I can link these lights to the hue bridge (not an easy procedure) but they can be all be controlled harmoniously through the hue hub.
The latest models use ZigBee I guess? I believe the device controls the lights directly and not via the hue hub. I don't know what role is used, is this a controller? Or just a remote?
Either way, it would be great if at least the scenes and slider could be linked to the almond+.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:26:02 pm by Mike »

LGNilsson

Re: "hue" remote support?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »
The support we're working on is for the Hue hub, as we can't talk directly to the Philips devices due to them being ZigBee Light Link and not ZigBee Home Automation. Our apps and local/cloud UI's will be able to communicate with the Hue hub which is then dealing with all the Hue devices, so in your case, none of this should be a problem.

On a side note, we've got one of the thermostats you got in the picture as well and we'll be adding support for it in a future firmware update.

Offline adx

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
Hi Lars,

I just bought a philips hue bulb after receiving my shipping notification. However, I didn't get the hub thinking Almond+ can control it directly.

So, should I take it that there will be no possibility of Almond+ supporting ZLL to control hue bulbs directly?

Do you have any recommended products similar to Philips Hue that Almond+ can control directly?

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 05:48:05 am »
Philips kind of messed up, as they don't have fallback support for ZigBee HA, unlike Osram Sylvania and GE, both of which work just fine with the Almond+. Admittedly they're not colour changing bulbs, but either option is a lot cheaper. We're also waiting for the Belkin bulbs to see if they will work or not.

Offline adx

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:59:55 pm »
Thanks for the info. However, the alternative products you mentioned I guess are for the US market... do you know if those
bulbs support 110/220 volts?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:23 pm »
Ah, yes, true. I know for sure the Osram Sylvania bulbs are 110V only, not sure about the GE ones.
We haven't seen any other ZigBee or Z-Wave bulbs that work with 220V as yet.

Offline Mike

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:31:52 pm »
Apparently the hue bulbs at least, can be tricked in joining HAP networks.
http://www.everyhue.com/vanilla/discussion/141/getting-hue-to-join-my-coordinator-and-related-zigbee-questions/p1
I still have to read the topic completly, but there are successful reports of linking bulbs to HA coordinator. And one of the hue devs confirming that hues do have (hidden) HA possibilities

Still not sure what this means for the remotes, maybe they can be tempted to perform the same trick.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:39:39 pm by Mike »

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:41:07 am »
Yeah, we've seen that thread, but we've never managed to make it work  :-\
Other ZigBee bulbs work just fine though.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck