bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: GE Link LED light bulbs  (Read 44195 times)

Offline Kazy

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: GE Link LED light bulbs
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »
I was able to put in a ship-to-home order for a couple of these from Home Depot.  It's backordered for a couple of weeks, but I'll post about them once I get them in!

Offline omar_barlas

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 09:54:39 pm »
Can some one write steps to connect this Bulb to Almond Plus, because there is no connect button on bulbs, and Almond plus is saying to push button on device, so not sure how to configure it

The bulb is connected and Lit On from switch

LGNilsson

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 11:58:11 pm »
You should just have to go to Add Sensor in the LCD UI, tap on Add and then switch the bulb on and it should connect. The only issue is that it can't be too far away from the Almond+ when you add it, as when you're adding a sensor they're in a low power mode to try to prevent any potential issues like being added to another gateway by mistake.

Offline ranjit

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 09:27:10 am »
I bought couple of them yesterday. The setup was very easy with A+(Thanks to the Team).
Now i can control through the iPhone App(4S  & 5S) and i can dim from 0 to 100.
The only complain with app is, the slider is not user friendly.

Setup:
1.Install the Link Bulb
2.Switch on the Bulb (It lights up)
3.In A+, Go to Add Sensors, it will detect in a minute. (just wait, i can see the light blinks)
4. Name the sensor. That is it.

Offline nerdslice

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 11:08:38 pm »
Setup:
1.Install the Link Bulb
2.Switch on the Bulb (It lights up)
3.In A+, Go to Add Sensors, it will detect in a minute. (just wait, i can see the light blinks)
4. Name the sensor. That is it.

The instructions above worked perfect. I flipped steps 2 and 3 and it worked just fine.  Toggling the light on and off did not get the A+ to recognize it, flipping the switch on and off did however  :D.  Thanks!

Offline oryx

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 09:40:26 pm »
Hi all!
I am trying to connect a GE link bulb to the Almond+. I have tried following the steps listed previously in this thread, but to no avail. Right now I have the Link bulb turned on right next to the Almond+, but when I try to Add Sensors it just gets hung up at the "Press join" screen. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the Almond to connect to the bulb?

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 01:00:25 am »
So I grabbed a few of these... Paired first try.. Some notes:

I just screwed it in, and did an 'add'. The bulb blinked it's ACK (the 3 flashes) before the A+ ever proceeded to the  'getting sensor information'. No issues though, it just took a while for the A+ to finish the process.

I did note what Lars mentioned.. it definately doesn't dim all the way down, but to be honest... my LED bulbs above my head right now go dimmer, and unless you're using these in a home theatre, i don't see where you need to go THAT dim).. 4% or whatever is fine to me

Unlike my Crees, this has a nice warm white color.. if I couldn't see the bulb, i'd almost swear it was incandescent.

The dimming might be a function of the firmware version on it. (Not sure if GE will be updating that ever)..

I did use a zigbee dongle and captured the whole pairing process from start to finish, if anyone wants it. (I used a Generic TI 2531 ZB dongle and SmartRF Packet Sniffer)..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:03:43 am by sorphin »

Offline Automate

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »
I used a Generic TI 2531 ZB dongle and SmartRF Packet Sniffer
By generic, I assume you mean something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zigbee-usb-dongle-cc2531-cc2530-bag-module-wireless-keyboard/1763694083.html
rather than the official TI one http://www.ti.com/tool/cc2531emk

Have you had any issues with the dongle capturing packets?

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:26 pm »
By generic, I assume you mean something like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zigbee-usb-dongle-cc2531-cc2530-bag-module-wireless-keyboard/1763694083.html
rather than the official TI one http://www.ti.com/tool/cc2531emk

Have you had any issues with the dongle capturing packets?

I actually meant this one: http://www.dxsoul.com/product/ti-cc2531-usb-dongle-zigbee-adapter-deep-blue-901294176#.VBY1Iy5dVcA  but close enough.

No issues the first time I tried... Though, figuring out which channel to use....

Offline Kazy

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 03:07:59 am »
Got mine in today and they work for the most part.

The Almond+ seemed to lose connectivity to one of them, and I had to reconnect it.  They don't seem to like updating their sensor status on the Almond+ either...

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 04:45:59 am »
Do you have a USB 3.0 device plugged in to your Almond+? Some interfere with ZigBee, so try unplugging it and see if it helps as this is what tends to cause status update issues.

Offline Kazy

• Backer
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 08:36:36 pm »
I did, but even after unplugging I'm still having some issues.

LGNilsson

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »
What I don't know and what I can't find out is if the bulbs acts as ZigBee routers or not. How far away from the Almond+ is the problem bulb?
If it's more than say 100m/300 feet and you have no mains powered ZigBee devices that acts as routers and if the bulbs don't work as routers, this could potentially be the issue, as the furthest bulb might be too far away.

Offline hiero

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:45 am »
Just wanted to say that I went out and bought an A19 and a BR30 wink bulbs and both are working great in both dimming and on/off. Incidentally, apparently my area doesn't have a lot of folks playing with this because there were absolutely full displays of both the A19 and BR30 bulbs at my local home depot (looks like that's the only place selling them as far as I can tell). I did run into a couple of pairing issues, but eventually found how to reset the bulbs and re-paired them.  The short of it is this:

//////
Turn the light fixture off, wait 3 solid seconds.
Turn the light fixture on, wait 3 solid seconds.
Turn the light fixture off, wait 3 solid seconds.
Turn the light fixture on, wait 3 solid seconds.
Repeat this 5 or 6 times until the light dims automatically and shoots back on to full brightness quickly. The bulb is now factory reset and can be re-paired.
//////

*edit* ***DARN, I totally didn't check the wiki, but this information is already there: http://wiki.securifi.com/index.php?title=GE/Wink_Link_bulbs***

Also, I found that the bulbs do lose connectivity for a short time if switched on and off rapidly 3 or 4 times (was messing with my wife  :P), but the connection comes back relatively quickly without having to re-pair.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:58:02 pm by hiero »

Offline Kazy

• Backer
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 11:44:32 pm »
What I don't know and what I can't find out is if the bulbs acts as ZigBee routers or not. How far away from the Almond+ is the problem bulb?
If it's more than say 100m/300 feet and you have no mains powered ZigBee devices that acts as routers and if the bulbs don't work as routers, this could potentially be the issue, as the furthest bulb might be too far away.

I live in a small apartment, so they are both within 20 feet max.   The router is within a few inches of one of my computer monitors, could that be an issue?

e: I also have an appliance switch in the same room as the problem lamp and it doesn't have any issues.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:47:17 pm by Kazy »

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck