bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Alarm System Integration  (Read 32643 times)

Offline shay

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Alarm System Integration
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:08:40 am »
What alarm systems if any are you planning on integrating with? 

LGNilsson

Re: Alarm System Integration
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:44 am »
To be honest, we haven't looked that closely at this yet, but please feel free to add suggestions and we'll see what we can do. We know the ELK-M1 is a popular solution, but we'd be open to try to add support to any and all solutions that could be connected to the Almond+.

Offline shay

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »
The DSC Powerseries are really popular with mi casa verde users.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:47:30 pm »
Presumably something like this would be needed? http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=139
I'm sorry, but personally I don't have a lot of experience with these things. However, it seems like the only way we could interface with an alarm system would be via IP.
What kind of support are you looking for on the Almond+ side?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:50:14 pm by Lars »

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »
Very similar to what I posted here:
http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,165.0.html

Using the alarms sensors as inputs to trigger a scene is what I would like to be able to do.
Like having a motion sensor (that doesn't have the 7-9 second lag like the battery operated zwave ones do) to turn on a light when you enter a room or keep it on as long as motion is seen every 15 mins or so.
Not turn on the AC in summer if doors or windows are open (assuming they all have sensors in the alarm system of course) or alert you via text or email that the temp is high enough to turn on, but door or window is open.

That is what I'm looking for.  Others can chime in with what they would like to see.

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:17:30 am »
I found this link on a Swedish Z-Wave forum.
http://code.mios.com/account

It lists how to connect a few alarms and other devices to the Vera system, I found my Alarm Visonic Powermax, there is a link to reading the Serial communication from the Alarm, and I'm planning on ordering the RS-232 adapter for it, to see if I can get it to work with the Almond+.

This would mean I could use the existing sensors on it with the Almond+.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:13 pm »
Thanks for the link, very useful stuff and I'll make sure to pass it on to our software team.

Offline picomo

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:27:27 pm »
Integration with Envisalink 3  http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176 or ad2usb http://www.nutech.com/online-store/35.html would also be nice

Thanks!

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 06:29:43 am »
Are those the most popular solutions out there?
We'd most likely try to add support for solutions that are widely used first and go from there.

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:19:31 am »
The Elk and HAI are probably the most popular DIY combined Home Automation / Security systems but they are rather expensive.  They also have a lot of overlap with the planned HA functionality of the Almond+ so some people may not see the need for both.

The DSC and Ademco Vista are two of the most popular and capable stand alone security systems.  Probably one of the reasons Eyezon chose them for the panels they support with the EnvisaLink 3.  Also at lease for the DSC, the protocol EnvisaLink uses is a clone of the one DSC uses for their own communications module so one driver can take care of both communication methods.

Offline pete

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:28 am »
Personally here utilize two Leviton/HAI OPII panels in addition to my home automation software.  I chose the HAI panels mostly because of their small footprint.  That said the Elk panel is an excellent panel with the same type of functionality.

The above noted and related to the Leviton HAI OPII panel; an Almond + could also be utilized as a console to the Leviton Panel that I have configured already with UPB, X10 and Z-Wave; plus the Omnistat(s) and Russound zoned amplifiers + HAI CCTV stuff.

My Leviton combo panel can function without any interaction from the automation software.  That said I utilize the interaction for some higher level functions.  IE: say integration into the CCTV

So in a recap we see a few different methodologies of providing Alarm system integration.

1 - As Automate suggested above; integrating a pure security alarm function connection (DSC) - simplest.
2 - Integration of a combo security / automation panel (in the DIY world there are two panels today that have been around for over 10 years - Leviton HAI and ElK).  While the technology utilized on these boards is sort of legacy; they were made to last forever; literally.

The above stuff though always considering "life and saftey" first integration into the Alarm panel. 

A program / software glitch/hiccup can have adverse unwanted effects; IE: "life and saftey" issues if not done right.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:35:51 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:12 am »
I got the RS232 interface for my Visonic Powermax Pro yesterday.

It is installed now in the Alarm, but since I do not have any computer with a serial port, I need to get a USB adaptor, or even better some kind of wireless device.

I will look for something, I suppose that for the Almond+ a ZigBee device would be the best option, does anyone have a suggestion for something that would transfer the RS232 signal over ZigBee?

For now until I get the Almond+ i'm going to look for either Bluetooth or in worst case some kind of USB device.

LGNilsson

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 04:09:54 am »
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10003621/1265502-drf2617a-rs232-to-zigbee-wireless-module ? Not cheap, but as it's based on the TI chipset, it should be quite hackable since they have a free SDK.

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:03 am »
I think I would go with an Ethernet to Serial adapter such as this one http://www.hw-group.com/products/portbox/PortBox2_en.html or the cheaper ones on ebay.  Then just make a socket connection to the adapter from the Almond +

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:52:35 am »
Hmm, that does look handy, but from what I can see they only make drivers for Windows?
We can't be sure the Almond+ will even be able to communicate with it.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.