bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Download speed drastically reduced  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Franz29

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Download speed drastically reduced
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:43:38 am »
Hi All, I'm hoping someone can help me out with some network speed issues. Not overly technically savvie, but can generally get by with some guidance.

So I have Virgin Media (UK) broadband and their superhub on a 150mb line.

I hooked up the almond+ with the superhub set to modem mode. All connected well (laptop wired to the almond+).
I went to speedtest.net and tested my download speed - topped out at 38Mbps.

Reset the superhub to router mode, reconnected the laptop directly to the router and retested - 98 Mbps.

Figured maybe there was an issue with the superhub in modem mode so as a test I left it in router mode and connected the Almond + to the router then used it as a hub to connect the laptop to the internet. Speedtest.net once again shows a top speed of 38Mbps.

Is there anything in the Almond+ I can change to get full speed? I really want to use this as my router because the wireless is so much better but I can't sacrifice that much speed.

Bizarrely, If I connect the laptop to the Almond+ using ONLY wifi (2.4Ghz mode) I get 60 Mpbs download.

Anyone have any thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:41:03 am by Franz29 »

Offline Franz29

• Backer
Re: Download speed drastically reduced
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:19:48 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Lars, am I doing something stupid?

Offline The19th

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:11:23 am »
I'm not familiar with the Super Hub, and frankly, very jealous of the speeds Virgin offers!

I had to look up some info about the super hub and had some questions that might clarify the situation:

When you have the SH in router mode, the ethernet cable coming from the SH connects to which port on the Almond+?  While intuitively, the incoming internet connection should connect to the WAN port on the A+, try connecting it to one of the LAN ports and run the test again (and another LAN connection going to the computer)

Keep in mind the following:
- This SH-to-LAN port setup isn't optimal when the SH is in modem mode.
- The A+ may not correctly report that it is online, even though it obviously is.

I've been reading reports on another topic that the A+ using firmware R065 may be introducing garbled packets when crossing from WAN to LAN.  It may explain why you're seeing faster wifi speeds compared to your current wired connection.

Offline Franz29

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:07:13 pm »
Thanks, I did have the cable in the WAN port. I will give it a go in the LAN port over the weekend and see if it makes any difference.

Offline The19th

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 02:06:08 am »
Great!  Check back in and let us know either way if it works or not.

Remember that this is a workaround for now and it seems that the Securifi team is already working on new firmware for this issue.

Offline Franz29

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:04 am »
Yep, that's it: connected to the Superhub to the LAN port and my test speeds went up to 98 Mbps. The only problem is that doing that I now have no internet access on wifi connected devices through the Almond.

For now I have left the superhub in router mode and I'm using the almond as an extender. Hopefully the upcoming firmware update will correct the wired connection through the WAN port and we'll be good to go so I can use the Almond + as my primary.

Thanks again for all the help The19th. (BTW, how do I get a backer tag on my account?)

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck