bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Add sensor from app?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline MrAkai

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Add sensor from app?
« on: September 08, 2014, 01:45:33 pm »
Is there (or will there be) the ability to pair a sensor with the A+ from either the web GUI or the android app?  I'm thinking for things like door locks and thermostats, it would be easier to be able to trigger pairing from where the sensor is installed rather than have to press the button, run upstairs, and go into pairing mode (or vice-versa).

Thanks!
-S

Offline The19th

• Backer
Re: Add sensor from app?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:07:02 pm »
Either from the app or from the WebUI.

I personally think this is a great idea, considering many sensors I have are related to life away from the router (front door lock, porch lights, thermostat, etc).  It's a great workout to run up and down the stairs, yes, or yell across the house at a friend to go ahead and push the button, but WebUI/app pairing/removing would be awesome!

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:25:46 pm »
Afraid not, the pairing distance is only about one meter/three feet, so it doesn't make much sense.

Offline fgtech

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:29:45 pm »
Lars, does the pairing distance limitation still apply if there are devices in the house that do signal repeating? For example, the ZigBee Energy Switch that some of us got with the Almond+ creates a mesh network with other signal repeating devices to extend the range of the ZigBee network. I am less familiar with Z-Wave, so I don't know if that's a capability of those devices as well.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:16:20 am »
It should do. It does seem to vary a bit between various sensors, but the idea is that when a sensor is paired, it and the gateway is meant to be in low power mode as so that there's no way to "hijack" the sensor or have something else being paired by mistake.

Take the Vera Lite as an example, they have a battery compartment for AA batteries and a push button on the top which allows you to carry it around your home to add sensors.

This is a limitation of the standards, as it's been done as a means of "security".

Yes, we're aware that SmartThings and others are doing this through their apps, but if they're following to standards, they should have the same limitations.

Once a sensor/device is added, they'll go into high power mode and work over longer distances.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck