bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Home Automation  (Read 5111 times)

Offline charliemvp

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Home Automation
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:57:18 pm »
Hey Pete,

I met you at the Homer Radio Shack today. Wanted to pick your brain regarding arduino. Do you have any sites that have projects ideas or products in general. Is there another way of contacting you outside this forum?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline pete

Re: Home Automation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum Mark!

Nice to have met you today at the Radio Shack!

BTW I am playing now with a beagleboard lately.  It is running debian, mono and talking z-wave and x10 at this time.  Tiny thing.

It is the smallest "all in one" automation box that I have played with to date. (it is sold as an all in one package right now - software and hardware).

Building a second one now to run an application which will talk to the mini mothership. 

The device doesn't have a touchscreen; tiny thing though.

Will PM

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:58:01 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline mlh

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »
Pete,

I am from neighboring Orland Park.  I have just recently become aware of this site - the  almond+ product and zwave/zigbee home automation. I love new techie things but dont consider myself an expert by any means. Since you are from the area are able to be contacted outside this site for consultation on products/home automation design for my house.  I would love to pick your brain and talk with you further about the technology. Im just a DIY guy that doesnt have alot of money and would like to build a system right.

Thanks for your time
mlh

Offline pete

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 12:23:16 am »
Welcome to the Securifi forum mlh.

Yup; automation is a hobby for me.  Feel free to ask questions or write anytime.

[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Offline mlh

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:17:53 pm »
Are you able to talk on the phone. I have a ton of questions. You can reach me at [email address removed by admin] if you would like to provide your number.  Or email me and ill provide you my number.  Thanks for the help and i look forward to working with you.

mlh
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:25:38 pm by Lars »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:25:09 pm »
Are you able to talk on the phone. I have a ton of questions. You can reach me at [email address removed by admin] if you would like to provide your number.  Or email me and ill provide you my number.  Thanks for the help and i look forward to working with you.

mlh

While I appreciate that you are trying to expedite answers to your questions,  I would respectfully ask that you not do this.  Please ask your "ton of questions" right here in this Forums System.  Doing so will actually help not only yourself,  but the whole Securifi community as well.  We would benefit from both your "ton of questions" and from any answers that the community (especailly Pete) provides. 

Routers and Home Automation both have pretty steep learning curves.  As a community,  we should all be helping each other,  in order to get benefit of each others unique knowledge and experiences.  Even members with little knowledge can help in this regard,  in that questions are what prompt answers to be provided. 

I, for example, consider myself to be a Router expert,  in fact my knowledge of networking in general is better than most people.  I am not however an expert in Home Automation at all,  so I learn new things about Home Automation here every day,  simply by participating in this Forums system.  We all have both strengths and weaknesses in our personal knowledge.  Participating in community Forums allows us all to benefit from each others knowledge,  and this is why I encourage you to ask your questions right here.   

We welcome your questions,  (at any weight),  so please ask away.  (I probably won't be able to help you much at this point,  but there are definitely some very knowledgeable people here,  and many (including Pete) seem quite prepared to share their expertize with others.   I personally wish I had Pete's knowledge,  hopefully by participating here,  (even with my lack of knowledge),  I will expand my own knowledge in this subject.  Perhaps it time I will become an expert,  but at this point I most definitely am not.   

Kudos to Pete,  and the other HA experts here that freely help other people.  I for one really appreciate their knowledge,  and their willingness to share some of that knowledge with the entire Securifi community. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:26:00 pm by Lars »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:27:14 pm »
mlh, please refrain from posting email addresses in public forums, these can be used by spammers. If you want to reach someone privately, please send them a PM on forums. You can include your email address in these, as the PM's are private between the two of you. As such, I removed your email address from the forums.

Cheers

Offline mlh

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 03:13:07 pm »
Fair enough - and thanks for the insight on things.
I guess the first place i would like to start is with Home Automation/Multimedia.
Im looking for a device that i can control my TV/AV/Lighting/Locks/Security/Etc.  I dont have anything purchased yet so im looking to build upon things.
I really like the new Logitech Ultimate Remote and Hub. and i see it have the capability to work with the Phillips Hue.  Those are two strong likes for me.  But then i get into security - I like the Piper camera alot.  I want to make sure i stay with a technology/product is is going to be there in the future.  I see the Revolv product out there but then the Logitech Remote doesnt come in to play

Can anyone help me out here and start me slow so i can build upon things.

mlh

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:25:54 am »
Well, if you want to build a mixed technology network, the upcoming Almond+ from us might be what you're after, since it supports Wi-Fi (as it's a router), ZigBee (Home Automation profile) and Z-Wave. Out goal is also to be able to offer integrated support for devices like the Phillips Hue controller (as it's using ZigBee Light Link). Our pricing will be more attractive than that of the Revolv as well and you'll be able to use the touch screen for the initial setup of many devices/sensors as well as for control of many of them. If you want something now, sadly we can't help as the Almond+ isn't expected to hit retail until the later half of the first quarter of next year.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck