bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Having Trouble with AP mode  (Read 4750 times)

Offline daishi

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Having Trouble with AP mode
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to run my Almond+ in AP mode for my existing network which consists of an Apple time Capsule (dual band 802.11n model) and an Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac model).  If I try to set it up in AP mode it errors out and says it can't connect to the internet.  If I set it up as a standard router with the same SSID and password it is working without issue. 

Any ideas what's going on?  I'm pretty much router illiterate.  I am on the latest firmware release.

Offline caseyh

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Having Trouble with AP mode
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:06:40 am »
I'm interested in this as well. I just got my Almond+ and I want to integrate it into my existing home wired and wireless networks. Right now I use a 1TB dual-band Time Capsule (no .ac support) as my router.

I'm curious as to how to should set things up to include the Almond+. Should I just connect it to my existing wired network and use it as range extender? Or, should I use the Almond+ as my main router (connected directly to the cable modem) and then connect the TC to it?

As you can tell by my vocabulary here, I'm no networking expert, but I try.

Offline cdmatter

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:41:32 pm »
I'm interested in this as well. I just got my Almond+ and I want to integrate it into my existing home wired and wireless networks. Right now I use a 1TB dual-band Time Capsule (no .ac support) as my router.

I'm curious as to how to should set things up to include the Almond+. Should I just connect it to my existing wired network and use it as range extender? Or, should I use the Almond+ as my main router (connected directly to the cable modem) and then connect the TC to it?

As you can tell by my vocabulary here, I'm no networking expert, but I try.

I have a very similar setup.  Since my Apple TC does not have wireless AC or some of the other features offered by the Almond+, I use the Almond+ as my main router with the Apple TC connected via a network cable.  I then made sure the Apple TC wireless was turned off and my Macs are still able to use it for Time Machine backups and storage (I can also still access the TC via the Airport Utility).  Since the Almond+ has better wireless coverage and speeds in and around my house, I did not think it would be useful to use the Apple TC wireless to extend the range.  However, your situation may be different this respect.  Hope that helps!

Offline caseyh

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 03:04:32 pm »
Thank you, cdmatter.

Offline daishi

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:49:39 am »
Unfortunately the way my house is laid out and the location of the FiOS router I need multiple routers to reach decent coverage, which is why I was attempting to use it in AP mode. Currently I've just put the Almond into its box until this can be figured out. 

Offline reedog117

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 03:50:20 pm »
In my setup I actually have pfSense running in a virtualized environment as my Internet gateway to FiOS.  From there I have the Almond+ plugged in and running in AP mode.

The LCD complains that it has no connectivity to the Internet, yet I can still associate it to my account on securifi.com and it is still controllable without any issues.

Now if the data corruption issues can finally be fixed, I can start transitioning my devices over.

In the meantime, I do have an older Linksys router running TomatoUSB also in AP mode serving my wireless clients.  I would think in a large environment requiring multiple routers for coverage, you would have one main Internet gateway as well as a wired backbone LAN running the length of your house/building/condo/whatever.  You would then have APs coming off of the wired LAN wherever you need coverage with the same SSID but non-overlapping channels.

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:43:03 pm »
you would have one main Internet gateway as well as a wired backbone LAN running the length of your house/building/condo/whatever.  You would then have APs coming off of the wired LAN wherever you need coverage with the same SSID but non-overlapping channels.
This is how my current network is set up.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 19 queries.