bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: How flexible is it going to be?  (Read 7316 times)

Offline vcruzjr

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How flexible is it going to be?
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:59:59 am »
You have the best of both protocols when it comes to the HA industry, in a kick-bunny wifi config.  Are you planning to be like MIOS, that's OK.  I mean, I don't have no problems with the cloud, just don't limit the ability to offer the most you can on the  configuration/programming/scripts side of things.  What an opportunity!!!  OK, being a Integrator myself, I use On Controls to create custom remotes on touchscreens, since this is a kick-bunny system, I want to create custom UI's for this unit, is that going to be possible in the future???  Based on everyone who is coming out with a Home Automation system, I really like this unit.  The IRIS system from Lowes has both zigbee and z-wave, but fees for expanded services.  I don't mind fees, if there is flexibility with the programming.  Sylvania has new LED lightbulbs with build in zigbee support, will I be able to use these?  Any support for sprinklers system like EtherRain?  I would like to offer this unit as part of a solution for clients.  Many uses for all 3 protocols.... can't wait...

I need more info, specs anything!!! :o

Thanks

-Victor

LGNilsson

Re: How flexible is it going to be?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 02:57:06 am »
Hi Victor,

We're not limiting anything with the Almond+, in fact, the "cloud" is optional as we'll have a web UI that will allow you to control and monitor your sensors and devices, as well as mobile apps for Android and iOS devices.

Beyond that, the Almond+ will also run dual operating systems, so with a simple click of your mouse, you can go into OpenWRT and add new features to your hearts content. We'll also be offering an SDK, although until a so far undefined point in time after the retail launch, this will only be available to our developer backers from Kickstarter.

I'm not sure about mobile device UI's, but it's something we'd be willing to consider, but sadly it's not something we'd have time to look into until after launch.

Yes, the Sylvania bulbs should be working just fine with the Almond+.
As for IP based devices, it'd be up to you to add support for them via OpenWRT (which is embedded Linux), so technically there's no reason why it couldn't be supported, but it wouldn't be done by us.

Hopefully this and my reply to your other post helps answer your questions.

Offline johpe

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 07:41:20 am »
I've got sort of a follow-up question to this.

Will there be an API available or some other way to interact with the Z-Wave / Zigbee nodes form "outside" the Almond+? E.g. set actuator values and read sensor data over ethernet from a computer connected to one of the LAN ports of the Almond+.

I've already built a custom Linux server/application for interfacing with my 1-Wire network of sensors, so based on my sensor data (e.g. temperature) I will want to set a Z-Wave thermostat or radiator valve to a certain value and maybe set the color of a Phillips Hue light. Will this be possible? Or will I be limited to what is possible through the webinterface or the android/iphone apps?

Br,
Johannes

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:19:22 pm »
As the Almond+ is running OpenWRT which is an embedded version of Linux, I'm sure you'll be able to port most of the code over, but as I don't know how you interface from the PC with your 1-wire sensors it's a bit hard to say if it'll be doable or not. We're not locking down the Almond+ in any way, so you're free to tinker as much as you want with it. I'm not sure how interaction between various sensor networks will work though, at least not beyond the fact that we have enabled "bridging" between ZigBee, Z-Wave and Wi-Fi, although I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be easy to support other standards too, as long as you're willing to do the tinkering.
We'll provide more details about the SDK in the future, but it's C++ based from what I've been told by our software team.

Offline johpe

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 08:37:25 am »
Thanks for the reply.

We're not locking down the Almond+ in any way, so you're free to tinker as much as you want with it.
That sounds great!

As the Almond+ is running OpenWRT which is an embedded version of Linux, I'm sure you'll be able to port most of the code over, but as I don't know how you interface from the PC with your 1-wire sensors it's a bit hard to say if it'll be doable or not.
The interface from PC to 1-Wire is through a DS9490R USB dongle and built on top of the OWFS open source project. It's probably portable but I would actually prefer to keep running it on my Linux server (since I'm interfacing with other devices/nodes as well from my PC program, (like arduino and the like)). I would then like to use an 'offboard' API towards the Almond+s Z-Wave and ZigBee networks. I suppose the Almond+ web interface will have some kind of higher level JSON interface towards the devices to be able to set and read the different nodes? That's where I'd like to be able to hook in, would that be possible as well?

I'm not sure how interaction between various sensor networks will work though, at least not beyond the fact that we have enabled "bridging" between ZigBee, Z-Wave and Wi-Fi, although I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be easy to support other standards too, as long as you're willing to do the tinkering.
We'll provide more details about the SDK in the future, but it's C++ based from what I've been told by our software team.
If you'd like the Almond+ to support 1-Wire directly I don't think it would be much of a problem to add OWFS and support for the DS9490R USB dongle. I'm definitely interested in more details about the SDK, I'll keep checking in on the project.

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:11:17 am »
I would then like to use an 'offboard' API towards the Almond+s Z-Wave and ZigBee networks. I suppose the Almond+ web interface will have some kind of higher level JSON interface towards the devices to be able to set and read the different nodes? That's where I'd like to be able to hook in, would that be possible as well?
I'm looking for the same type of interface but don't want to use a cloud service.  I don't want the interface between my other in home automation systems and the Almond+ to stop working if my internet connection goes down.  I also don't want the extra latency of sending info/commands to the cloud and back.  Just a simple Ethernet socket connection would be great maybe using JSON.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:39:12 pm »
It's really hard for us to say if something like this will work or not, but I can't see any technical reasons as to why it shouldn't. It might take a good bit of tinkering on your side, but I'd suggest asking around in the OpenWRT forums first, as if it can be done in their platform, it can be done with the Almond+. As for adding bits to NutsOS for controlling things, that's a different matter and it would require our SDK from what I understand. The SDK will be available after launch to everyone that are interested in tinkering with their Almond+.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck