Choose style:

Author Topic: Recommended Ethernet Cables? ( Cat5/6/7 )  (Read 6753 times)

Offline jwmann

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Recommended Ethernet Cables? ( Cat5/6/7 )
« on: September 02, 2014, 04:39:31 pm »
I'm in the middle of updating my cables (old ones are literally falling apart, majority of them don't even lock into the A+)
I'm wondering what would be the best cable to purchase to get the best out of the Almond+.
I'd also like them to be compatible with my current devices as well. (AFAIK, Cat5/6/7 are all backwards compatible)

I'm also curious what type of ethernet cable comes in the box with the A+.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Recommended Ethernet Cables? ( Cat5/6/7 )
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:25:51 am »
I'm in the middle of updating my cables (old ones are literally falling apart, majority of them don't even lock into the A+)
I'm wondering what would be the best cable to purchase to get the best out of the Almond+.
I'd also like them to be compatible with my current devices as well. (AFAIK, Cat5/6/7 are all backwards compatible)

I'm also curious what type of ethernet cable comes in the box with the A+.

FYI, Cat5e is all you need unless you're using 10Gigabit Ethernet. Then you'd use Cat6.

Offline jwmann

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »
FYI, Cat5e is all you need unless you're using 10Gigabit Ethernet. Then you'd use Cat6.

Yes most likely.
I'm more interested in what Almond+ is capable of and optimizing/installing the correct the cables to take advantage of that.

Based on your recommendation, I'm assuming Cat5e would be all I need to get the most out of the A+?

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:17:21 am »
Yes most likely.
I'm more interested in what Almond+ is capable of and optimizing/installing the correct the cables to take advantage of that.

Based on your recommendation, I'm assuming Cat5e would be all I need to get the most out of the A+?

Yes, You don't need 'higher' than Cat5e for the Almond.. I've done GigE in datacenters that weren't fiber, and they were Cat5e as well. Cat6 would be if you were doing 10GBit, which by then, you'd better be using fiber anyways. The only differences between the Cat(egory) levels is the tightness of the twists of the pairs. While it wouldn't do any harm using Cat6 (never even heard of "Cat7"), I'd consider it money wasted.

Offline atrueresistance

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:35:11 am »
Cat 5e would be perfectly fine for you. Cat 6 does have some advantages, such as less crosstalk and system noise due to the way it is made (helpful in longer runs).  Most notably you will notice Cat 6 has a plastic X running though the entire cable to separate pairs. That also results in the diameter of Cat 6 to be slightly larger then Cat 5e.

Cat 5e $30 per 500ft
Cat 6 $50 per 500ft

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:14 pm »
The following is my philosophy on cabling:
I wouldn't recommend buying CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) cables, as they tend to be brittle and have lesser quality than pure copper.
I buy cables from Monoprice.com for a ridiculously cheap price- $100 for 1000 feet of cat6. It's full copper wire, and not CCA.

When I do wiring, I plan on at least 10 years of use between upgrades, so I've run cat6 throughout my entire house.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:08:30 am »
The following is my philosophy on cabling:
I wouldn't recommend buying CCA (Copper-Clad Aluminum) cables, as they tend to be brittle and have lesser quality than pure copper.
I buy cables from Monoprice.com for a ridiculously cheap price- $100 for 1000 feet of cat6. It's full copper wire, and not CCA.

When I do wiring, I plan on at least 10 years of use between upgrades, so I've run cat6 throughout my entire house.

Where in the world have you had a 'copper clad aluminum' Cat5/whatever cable? I've only _ever_ in all my years in networking (and it's been quite a few of them), had either solid or stranded _only copper_ cables.  I buy my cable locally. As for the 10 years thing.. aside from when i lived at home, i haven't lived anywhere else 10 years, and don't forsee that for the future either..

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:39:11 pm »
In the post above mine, it has links to Amazon for cheap cable that's CCA. If you buy speaker wire at Best Buy, most of it is CCA, even the Monster brand stuff.

Planning on 10 years of cable use can save money in the long run, and you only have to run it every 10 years, instead of every 3-5.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 01:57:12 am »
In the post above mine, it has links to Amazon for cheap cable that's CCA. If you buy speaker wire at Best Buy, most of it is CCA, even the Monster brand stuff.

Planning on 10 years of cable use can save money in the long run, and you only have to run it every 10 years, instead of every 3-5.

I don't buy speaker wire, and i definately wouldn't buy it at somewhere like BB. lol... I know local places that sell _real_ cable.. Though, I was referring to where you'd have found _ethernet_ cable that was CCA, but anyways.  (P.S. Monster is overpriced crap. I've never bought anything branded monster)

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck