Choose style:

Author Topic: Translated UI and Documentation  (Read 3706 times)

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Translated UI and Documentation
« on: October 31, 2013, 03:08:02 pm »
Saw the Kickstarter update today with the WebUI, and it looks awesome.
In the comments were some suggestions, and I added a comment there, but I figured it should also go here in the forum.

Ana in depth help system would be great.
I would also add translations, I'm hoping that you make your life easy by making an easy way to translate the UI/Help, so not hardcoding the text, but having text references, that can then be modified in a xml or similar, making it easier to translate the UI.

I would be happy to assist with translation, I speak both Swedish and Danish fluently.

LGNilsson

Re: Translated UI and Documentation
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
I guess you haven't used our Almond router, it ships today with eight different languages and we're working on adding more.
Translations take time, but a lot of this work is outsourced and then double checked to make sure it's correctly translated.
If you truly have the time and inclination to translate the UI to Swedish and Danish, then I'd think we'd be more than happy to accept your services in doing so, but please PM me about this and we can discuss things further, as so far we don't have a distributor for the Scandinavian market.

As for the help system, yes, it would indeed be something helpful to implement and it's something I'll discuss with the software team. In fact, I'm going to collect all the comments from Kickstarter and sum it up for our software team, as we want the Almond+ to be as good of a product as possible when we ship it, although we can't guarantee that everything will be there at day one. However, as with the Almond, we keep adding features over time and we're planning on doing this with the Almond+ as well, since it's a long-term commitment from our side.

Offline pete

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Translated UI and Documentation
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:39:03 am »
Yup; enjoyed the video of the new GUI posted on the Kickstarter!  Great stuff!

As for the help system, yes, it would indeed be something helpful to implement

That would be great!

I tend to lean on an intuitive interface too much sometimes; never reading beforehand; guessing it's a time thing; then I fail-over to reading the "help" pieces mostly due to an interpretation of logic different than mine; if that makes any sense?  IE: a picture, icon, widget, symbol can sometimes mean different things to different folks; depending on what part of the world you happen to be at or in.

dumb analogy....years ago purchased a little bicycle for my daughter for Christmas.  It wasn't put together but rather in pieces in a box.  My engineering mind made quick assumptions based on the "picture" of an assembled bicycle.  It didn't work.  I was too in a place where there were other "engineers" present.  It then went to 2, 3, 4, 5 folks (engineers-peers) trying to assemble this bicycle.  Then to a sort of loud discussion with 5 unique redesigns of the bicycle.  Then finally after an hour or two someone looked at the directions; then it was easy.  (it did and didn't make any sense; depending on your interpretation)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:47:18 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 16 queries.