Choose style:

Author Topic: Internet IP in Android app  (Read 3746 times)

Offline preternaturous

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Internet IP in Android app
« on: September 18, 2014, 08:25:46 pm »
I'm assuming this is not already in the app, since I can't find it, so I'm posting this as more of a suggested feature.

I'd like to be able to see the internet IP of my router at home by looking on my app. There have been multiple times where I suddenly have a need to remote into my home PC or map a network drive via the internet, but I can't remember my internet IP at home. Being able to see this info on my phone as a moment's notice would be a godsend.

Offline matt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Internet IP in Android app
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:29:32 am »
I'm assuming this is not already in the app, since I can't find it, so I'm posting this as more of a suggested feature.

I'd like to be able to see the internet IP of my router at home by looking on my app. There have been multiple times where I suddenly have a need to remote into my home PC or map a network drive via the internet, but I can't remember my internet IP at home. Being able to see this info on my phone as a moment's notice would be a godsend.

I don't want to discount this as a feature suggestion (it seems perfectly reasonable to me, and I hate it when people say "why would you want that"), but one recommendation I would make is to set up dynamic-dns, then you wouldn't need to remember/lookup the IP. Many people use and like http://freedns.afraid.org/ (I have in the past, but I have other solutions now).

Offline preternaturous

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »
I've used these in the past, and I've never found one that's truly free. Most of the free ones I've used in the past, either don't update your ip automatically, or you need to log in once every few weeks or they'll delete your account (which I have trouble remembering to do.) But I might look into this one.

Offline matt

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:04:24 pm »
I've used these in the past, and I've never found one that's truly free. Most of the free ones I've used in the past, either don't update your ip automatically, or you need to log in once every few weeks or they'll delete your account (which I have trouble remembering to do.) But I might look into this one.

Yeah, I used no-ip for a long time, which had that log in every 90 days thing. At least they sent you an email, and eventually it was a one-click update operation. But now I renew my domain names with namecheap (good prices and good reputation), and they have free ddns with domain name purchase (which works with the Almond+, albeit with a bit of finagling).

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.