Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond+ Range question  (Read 7214 times)

Offline hengst2404

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond+ Range question
« on: September 08, 2014, 07:54:01 am »
I have my Almond+, but have been hesitating to integrate it into my home setup. I currently have Verizon fios, but turned the wifi off their modem and have my Netgear Nighthawk connected so that I am using the for wifi. My concern is that the Nighthawk is kind of a best and I am curious about people's experience with their Almond+. I live in a 2500 sq foot home with the router upstairs in a central area, a the main floor and then a basement which has spotty at best coverage. I just am worried I will end up with even less coverage. Thoughts?

Offline JesseD

• Backer
Re: Almond+ Range question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 07:13:24 pm »
I have a 2400 sqft home, two stories and have no issues anywhere I go...

I don't have a basement though.......I hear they can be tricky

Offline pkscout

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 08:33:49 pm »
In my 1600 sqft place the Almond+ isn't able to reach places that my Airport Extreme (sitting in the exact same place) reached.  One of the Securifi staff asked me to submit something to the support email so I could get the unit replaced, so mine may not be typical.  I'll know better when (if) the unit gets replaced and I can try again.

Offline tackdetack

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »
Mine currently sits in my basement (open and unfinished) of a 2500+ sq ft home.

Reaches main and upper level with ease.

Has a hard time getting a solid connection outside though. Need to investigate that.

Offline Halaster

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »
I own a 2200 sq foot house and have the Almond+ sitting on a wall near the front door of the house.
It reaches every room in the house with at least 3 bars on the 2.4Ghz and 4 bars on the 5Ghz.

I can actually go outside to the corner of my lot which is 10,790sq foot and get great coverage.

My previous wireless routers, a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT, a Belkin Cisco router, and the Comcast Xfinity X1 router all had far less range.

Single floor house, so fairly spread out.

Offline simnick

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:47:10 am »
Huh. I am getting horrible range. Worse than my previous Airport Extreme. I have a small house (1900sq split over two stories), but it is an old, lath and plaster house, and that can really hurt wifi. But my wife is frustrated, and we are considering swapping back.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:58 am »
We'd be happy to swap out your Almond+ for another unit if you're not happy with the range. Please email [suspicious]support@securifi.com[/suspicious] and explain the situation.

Offline Lectoid

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:25 pm »
Pfft. I have a 19xx sqft house and have the almond+, airport express, and airport extreme running. Each uses it's own non-overlapping channel. I have full bars everywhere, ha ha.

Offline Oendaril

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
My range seems to actually be better on 5ghz than on 2.4ghz, but not in the perceived signal quality. I'm receiving either good or excellent signal quality throughout most of the house over 2.4, but the link speed eventually drops all the way down to 5-13mbps in most areas that aren't immediately in line of sight to the router.  The same area will have slightly lower 5ghz signal quality but much higher link speeds whether over n or ac.

Is this the kind of thing that I should wait and retest once the new wifi drivers are available in the firmware? Or is nobody else really seeing this?

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:51:04 pm »
My range seems to actually be better on 5ghz than on 2.4ghz, but not in the perceived signal quality. I'm receiving either good or excellent signal quality throughout most of the house over 2.4, but the link speed eventually drops all the way down to 5-13mbps in most areas that aren't immediately in line of sight to the router.  The same area will have slightly lower 5ghz signal quality but much higher link speeds whether over n or ac.

Is this the kind of thing that I should wait and retest once the new wifi drivers are available in the firmware? Or is nobody else really seeing this?

That's odd, but it also comes down to a lot of things like what your walls are made of etc. Wi-Fi isn't an exact technology, but in this case, hang on for a couple of firmware updates at least, if the problem continues after we've updated the Wi-Fi drivers, we'll swap it out if you're still not seeing any improvements.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck