bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Streaming Over Ethernet Ports  (Read 4437 times)

Offline ianbert

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Streaming Over Ethernet Ports
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:22:39 pm »
Have a strange one for you.
Have a WesternDigital MyCloud and Samsung BluRay Player plugged into the 2 Ethernet ports of the router.  After about 5-9 minutes of streaming a movie from the WesternDigital to the Samsung the connection between the devices break and I have to reboot the Almond, WesternDigital, and the Samsung.  If I put the WesternDigital and the Samsung on its own switch with an uplink from the Almond there are no issues.
Where can I start looking on the Almond for issues with the Ethernet ports.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Streaming Over Ethernet Ports
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:38 am »
Have a strange one for you.
Have a WesternDigital MyCloud and Samsung BluRay Player plugged into the 2 Ethernet ports of the router.  After about 5-9 minutes of streaming a movie from the WesternDigital to the Samsung the connection between the devices break and I have to reboot the Almond, WesternDigital, and the Samsung.  If I put the WesternDigital and the Samsung on its own switch with an uplink from the Almond there are no issues.
Where can I start looking on the Almond for issues with the Ethernet ports.

I'll talk to our Software team about this for you.  There shouldn't be any difference between an external switch,  and the internal switch in the Router. 

My concern at this point,  is that I have no personal knowledge of  the Western Digital MyCloud device.  You've identified the equipment involved,  but you have not identified the protocol being used.  I believe that the Samsung Blu-ray players typically can stream via Samba if you are simply sharing files,  but it also supports DLNA protocol for media streaming. 

What File Format are you using?  (A lot of consumer media devices have issues with MKV files for example).  How big are the files in question.  Does the Western Digital device have it's own DLNA server,  or it is perhaps using a 3rd Party DLNA Server such as Twonkymedia? 

Power cycling all the devices might provide temporary relief,  but it does little to troubleshoot the issue.  What happens if you only powercycle the Blu-ray?  What happens if you only powercycle the Western Digital device?  (Most troubleshooting for this type of issue requires using a "process of elimination" to find the root cause of the issue).   

Please provide more information so that we can assist you further.

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 18 queries.