bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Using Almond in conjunction with FiOS router as ONE network  (Read 10136 times)

Offline Deluxxxe

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Using Almond in conjunction with FiOS router as ONE network
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:44:49 pm »
Hey guys,

First off... LOVE my Almond router.

Having said that.. lack of  even the most basic manual has been frustrating for networking novices (like me!) LOL

I have Verizon FiOS internet which came with its own wireless router; its not a bad router. That's on the 2nd floor of my home ( computer&Fios router connected via Cat 5 cable). I have the ALMOND router downstairs (on the 1st floor) hooked up via cat 5 cable to my media server (the connection between my media server, a WDTV and the almond is cat 5 cable) I am able to access YOUTUBE and Pandora in this fashion. Now (1) is this acting as a repeater or WAP? Im not sure.

Anyway, it creates a second wireless network on the 1st floor called "XX_almond" which I successfully can connect to via my iPad.

Heres my problem:

Because my computer upstairs is connected to the network "XX" (recall, via cat 5 cable directly to the FiOS router) my  WDTV media server wont access shared music/pictures/videos because its on a different network; "XX_almond". I believe (correct me if Im wrong) that the WDTV media server cant (wont?) access my content on my PC because theyre not on the SAME network.

Anyone suggest a solution here? I want to be able to access content on my computer AND be able to use the almond to connect my iPad to the internet (without having to run cat 5 cable between the Fios router and the almond router)

Is it possible to get the router to be part of the "XX" network or does it have to create its own network?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
Re: Using Almond in conjunction with FiOS router as ONE network
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:11:09 pm »
Hey guys,

First off... LOVE my Almond router.

Having said that.. lack of  even the most basic manual has been frustrating for networking novices (like me!) LOL

I have Verizon FiOS internet which came with its own wireless router; its not a bad router. That's on the 2nd floor of my home ( computer&Fios router connected via Cat 5 cable). I have the ALMOND router downstairs (on the 1st floor) hooked up via cat 5 cable to my media server (the connection between my media server, a WDTV and the almond is cat 5 cable) I am able to access YOUTUBE and Pandora in this fashion. Now (1) is this acting as a repeater or WAP? Im not sure.

Anyway, it creates a second wireless network on the 1st floor called "XX_almond" which I successfully can connect to via my iPad.

Heres my problem:

Because my computer upstairs is connected to the network "XX" (recall, via cat 5 cable directly to the FiOS router) my  WDTV media server wont access shared music/pictures/videos because its on a different network; "XX_almond". I believe (correct me if Im wrong) that the WDTV media server cant (wont?) access my content on my PC because theyre not on the SAME network.

Anyone suggest a solution here? I want to be able to access content on my computer AND be able to use the almond to connect my iPad to the internet (without having to run cat 5 cable between the Fios router and the almond router)

Is it possible to get the router to be part of the "XX" network or does it have to create its own network?

The SSIDs can be different,  if all devices are in the same network physically.  The SSID is simply the name your Wi-Fi clients connect to,  the IP addresses of your equipment etc are all controlled by the main router.  I would however recommend that you change the SSID on the Almond to "XX",  and that you setup identical "passphrase" and security/encryption settings. 

See:  FAQ Article:  How do I change the SSID (the network name) of my Almond?:

Quote from: Securifi FAQ
When using your Almond as a Router or Range Extender/Repeater, locate and tap on the “Wireless” icon on the LCD touch-screen. From there, it’s easy to change the Almond’s SSID/network name and password. Simply tap on the field you want to change and a keyboard will appear that allows you to edit the text.

Also FAQ article: How do I remove “_almond” from the end of my extended network’s name?:

Quote from: Securifi FAQ
To remove the “_almond” suffix from the SSID of your Almond, please go to the “Wireless” icon on your Almond’s LCD touch-screen and tap it. Then tap on the “SSID” field. Now, you can simply remove the “_almond” suffix or you can change the network name/SSID to any other name you prefer.

You can access our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page at: http://www.securifi.com/faq

If both the main Router and the Almond are using the same Wi-Fi settings then your Wi-Fi client devices can connect to either one using the same settings and they will connect to whichever has the strongest Wi-Fi signal. 

As for whether your Almond is in "repeater" mode or "WAP" mode you can check this by pressing the "Status" tile on the Almond TouchUI,  and it will tell you.  If the you have a CAT5 connection from the Verizon FiOS Router to the Almond downstairs,  then you can configure the Almond in "WAP" (Wireless Access Point) mode.  If the only connection from the FiOS Router to the Almond is via WiFi,  then it should be setup in "Repeater" mode.

If the Verizon FiOS Router and Almond are connected only via Wi-Fi,  then you need to ensure that the Wireless settings are identical on both devices,  including ensure that both are using identical SSID.  (Simply remove the "_almond" part on the Almond so that it is "XX" like the main Router).  To maximize the security I would recommend using "WPA2 Personal" Security,  and "AES" Encryption on both devices.  (In this scenario you need the Almond setup to be in "Repeater" mode). 

You'll get best performance if you use "WAP - Wireless Access Point" mode,  and phsically run CAT5 cable from one of the LAN ports on the Verizon FiOS Router to the "gray" Port on the Almond,  but as you have devices on different floors this might be difficult to achieve easily. 

If you use Wi-Fi to connect these devices together,  my concern for you,  is that if the PC,  and WDTV device are on opposite sides of the "wireless bridge" you are creating,  the throughput may be insufficient to permit streaming HD Videos over the bridge without "stutter" or "lag".  If you use a CAT5 (or better) connection between the two Router devices,  this will not be a problem. 

I hope this answers your question. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:46:35 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline Deluxxxe

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 04:40:20 pm »
Sorry Patrick, I know have like a million more questions (Im a Nube.. sorry)

1st of all.. THANK YOU for a quick and helpful reply.

You wrote "If both the main Router and the Almond are using the same Wi-Fi settings Umm... What setting would those be?

Running cat5 between the 2 would be prohibitively difficult; I have to do it wirelessly...

For what Im trying to do... it should be in repeater mode?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:33:15 pm »
Sorry Patrick, I know have like a million more questions (Im a Nube.. sorry)

1st of all.. THANK YOU for a quick and helpful reply.

You wrote "If both the main Router and the Almond are using the same Wi-Fi settings Umm... What setting would those be?

Running cat5 between the 2 would be prohibitively difficult; I have to do it wirelessly...

For what Im trying to do... it should be in repeater mode?

Yes,  if it has to be wirelessly,  then you will want to setup the Almond as a "Repeater".

Setup the Almond to use the same: 

SSID
Password
Security  (I recommend WPA2/Personal)
Encryption (I recommend AES)

as your FiOS router. 

(Don't forget to remove the "_almond" part of the SSID.  See my previous message for instructions on doing so).

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck