Choose style:

Author Topic: Port Forwarding Doesn't Work if IP Cam on Wifi  (Read 26423 times)

Offline agentbaldwin

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Port Forwarding Doesn't Work if IP Cam on Wifi
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:00:53 am »
I have a Foscam F18910W and I got port forwarding working so I can access the camera via my cell phone if the camera is plugged directly into the almond.  However, if the camera is using the wifi instead of the lan connection i can't access the camera from my cell phone.  However, i can still access the camera via my desktop computer just fine so i know the wifi connection is working fine.  As such it has something to do with it being on the wifi that causes the port forwarding to stop working.

Any ideas?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
Re: Port Forwarding Doesn't Work if IP Cam on Wifi
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 10:22:23 am »
@ agentbaldwin

In order to assist you properly, please let us know the following:

`1) How you are accessing the camera on cellphone using the LAN IP address or WAN IP Address.

2) When you are trying to access the camera, is your cell phone connected to the Almond's Wi-Fi network or 3G/4G connection?

Just to let you know, when cell phone is connected to the Almond's Wi-Fi network then we can access the Camera with it's LAN IP address. However, in order to access the camera using the WAN IP then cell phone has to be connected to any other network apart from Almond like (3G/4G).

Almond would not allow WAN to LAN connection, it only allows LAN to LAN or WAN to WAN.

Offline agentbaldwin

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:32 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.  It looks like it did end up working since I was able to access the cameras using my cell phone at work today.  Based on your response below about WAN to LAN connections I believe the reason i was having an issue last night is because my phone was trying to access the camera via the home wifi (not the cell network) since it's set up to use the wifi when in range.   

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:38:50 am »
@ agentbaldwin

You are most welcome and most probably that was the only reason why you were not able to access the camera through cell phone from home and at office your cell phone was connected to a different network, so you were able to access it with out any concerns.

Offline kellybrf

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:21 am »
I am having a similar issue with my FI8910W.  No problems accessing it on my home network via the IP, but when I try and use the Foscam-provided DDNS I am am getting a refused error.  I have reached out to Foscam for support, but everything appears set up as it should be and the DDNS address is working.  Since the Almond supports UPnP I should be able to just enable the setting in the camera and everything should work, but it is not.  For good measure I tried to forward the port, but when I save the virtual server it doesn't error out, but there is also nothing listed under the server section.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 08:11:35 pm »
Hi Kellybrf,

In order to assist you properly, please let us know in which mode you are using the Almond Router, Range Extender or Access point?

On the other hand, please try to give a static IP to the Foscom camera through Almond then do the port forwarding for that particular IP and try to access it through DDNS, it should work. Please let us know the status.

Offline jfgomez86

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »
Hi,

I'm having an issue that's best described like this:

1. I've got 3 Foscam cameras: 2 FL8918 and 1 FL8910. All three are set up with static ip addresses, from 10.10.10.101 to 10.10.10.103 and ports 9001 to 9003.

2. I can access the cameras from my laptop or cellphone's browser if I go to the local ip address AND the client device (cellphone/laptop) is connected to the same wifi network the cameras are on.

3. I have set up port forwarding so I can access the cameras by using my network's public ip address (wan ip address?).

4. If I try to access the public ip address with the camera port, the browser will take some time before failing due to timeout.

5. If I turn off the wifi on my cellphone and then try to access the cameras using the public ip address + port, it works! Meaning I can see the cameras, but only from a connection coming outside of my LAN.

6. Here's the strange thing: If I enter the public ip address from within the LAN (without port number), I can see Almond's web interface. But I can't see the cameras when I add the port number from the same LAN.

With the router provided by the ISP, which is a cisco dpc2425, I could access the cameras using the public ip address (actually a custom domain name pointing to the same ip address), from either home (within the LAN) or away from home (outside the LAN). I was expecting the same behavior with the Almond, and I believe there might be a way because of the Almond web interface showing up when I try to access the public ip address from within the LAN.

Here's my router's setup:
Software Version: AL1-R199c (I just got off phone tech support, with a very nice guy who led me to upgrade the firmware to this version).
Basic Status Mode: Router

I spoke to tech support on the phone, but I'm leaving this here so others can benefit too from a possible answer, if they're having the same issue / questions.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »
@ jfgomez86,

I am sorry to say that Almond allows access only from WAN to WAN or LAN to LAN, but not WAN to LAN. Reason being, we already have access through LAN to LAN, so we don't have any usage of accessing it from WAN to LAN.

Offline jfgomez86

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:49 am »
ashok24 thanks for your reply.

Is there any workaround that I could implement either on the router or the phone to achieve the same purpose seamlessly, without having to manually set up 2 different urls (1 local and 1 wan) to access the cameras at any time?

What I want is to be able to set up only 1 single url per camera on my cellphone and be able to access the cameras from both within the network and outside the LAN.

Thanks!

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:37:22 pm »
@ jfgomez86,

I could completely understand your situation and unfortunately, we don't have any workaround to get access from WAN to LAN.

Offline Automate

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:40 am »
@jfgomez86  The feature you are looking for is called Nat Loopback http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation#NAT_loopback

Since Almond+ is based upon OpenWrt and OpenWrt supports Nat Loopback, it may be possible.
I found this link but don't know if it will work on the Almond+ http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Users:Thomax:nat-loopback

Amritendu

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »
@Automate, well not really since its a reference to Almond not the Almond+ which does not work on Open Wrt!

Offline Automate

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »
Missed which form this was in  :o  Well, a reason to get an Almond+

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.