Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond sees but can't connect with Belkin N600 wireless router  (Read 11031 times)

Offline JeanB

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Almond sees but can't connect with Belkin N600 wireless router
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:25:33 pm »
I'm using my Almond as a wireless bridge to provide wifi capability to my 4 yr old LG home theater & blu ray (Netflix and Pandora capable but no built in wireless receiver).  For years I used an ancient Linksys wireless router with a ZyXEL Wireless N Access point which worked flawlessly until recently when both began requiring reboots and factory resets -- on top of being slow.  I bought the N600 a month ago, and couldn't get the ZyXEL to connect to it.  Not really surprising.  I'm dismayed, however, to find my newly purchased Almond sees the router but can't connect.  My firmware is up to date.  I've tried everything on the forum but still no luck.  The Almond is only 20 feet from the Belkin N600.  Our other devices (laptops, tablet, Kindle, iPhone, Galaxy, and Directv Cinema Connection Kit) all connected easily to the N600.   Google searching provided no clear answers.  What gives?  What am I missing?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
Re: Almond sees but can't connect with Belkin N600 wireless router
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 01:28:20 am »
I'm using my Almond as a wireless bridge to provide wifi capability to my 4 yr old LG home theater & blu ray (Netflix and Pandora capable but no built in wireless receiver).  For years I used an ancient Linksys wireless router with a ZyXEL Wireless N Access point which worked flawlessly until recently when both began requiring reboots and factory resets -- on top of being slow.  I bought the N600 a month ago, and couldn't get the ZyXEL to connect to it.  Not really surprising.  I'm dismayed, however, to find my newly purchased Almond sees the router but can't connect.  My firmware is up to date.  I've tried everything on the forum but still no luck.  The Almond is only 20 feet from the Belkin N600.  Our other devices (laptops, tablet, Kindle, iPhone, Galaxy, and Directv Cinema Connection Kit) all connected easily to the N600.   Google searching provided no clear answers.  What gives?  What am I missing?

To perform as a "wireless bridge",  means putting the Almond in "Range Extender" mode.

You'll need to check the settings on both the Belkin N600 and the Almond to ensure that both devices are setup for the exact same SSID,  Channel and Wi-Fi security settings. 

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline JeanB

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
Thanks Patrick!

As it turned out, it was the "almond" at the end of the SSID that was the issue (read the FAQ again saw "how do I remove...").  I removed it and voila, Almond and Belkin connected!  Everything's working great.   :)

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:19:31 am »
Thanks Patrick!

As it turned out, it was the "almond" at the end of the SSID that was the issue (read the FAQ again saw "how do I remove...").  I removed it and voila, Almond and Belkin connected!  Everything's working great.   :)

Great effort!  I'm glad you figured it out.  I understand why our programming team made the choice they did in regards to this,  as it does make it easier to check performance etc if the devices have different SSID's,  but as having the "same" SSID is a requirement of "Range Extender" mode,  this could be an issue for some new owners.   

Fortunately Securifi is dedicated to providing this community Forum,  so hopefully most Securifi customers,  will either figure it out themselves,  (as you did),  or they will hang out here in our Community Forum,  so other members can gently provide this advice.  Great troubleshooting,  and good use of our FAQ.  I'm glad you figured it out. 

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to post more questions to our Forum. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:57:09 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline billybob

• Acorn
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
I have the same problem, but I cannot get the "_almond" to STAY off of the SSID. I remove it, the status shows it removed, but when I try to connect as a booster, it can't log in. When I go  back to the status, the "_almond" is back on the end of the SSID. I have reset, rebooted, etc.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:40 am »
I have the same problem, but I cannot get the "_almond" to STAY off of the SSID. I remove it, the status shows it removed, but when I try to connect as a booster, it can't log in. When I go  back to the status, the "_almond" is back on the end of the SSID. I have reset, rebooted, etc.

BillyBob,  please try again.  Also please revise your terminology.  I suspect that than when you say "booster" that you are actually talking about "Range Extender" mode.  Please clarify what you are trying to do. 

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline billybob

• Acorn
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:41:17 am »
Yes, range extender. Couldn't think of the name when I was typing it up, but figured that was close enough. I tried to get rid of the "_almond" at least 6 times, and it shows it is gone, but then it comes back when I try to set up the range extender. I've unplugged, reset, etc, and then change it and it still comes back.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »
Yes, range extender. Couldn't think of the name when I was typing it up, but figured that was close enough. I tried to get rid of the "_almond" at least 6 times, and it shows it is gone, but then it comes back when I try to set up the range extender. I've unplugged, reset, etc, and then change it and it still comes back.

When you "re-select" Range Extender,  it attempts to re-configure itself as a Range Extender again,  hence it re-adds the "_almond" again.  Once you have configured it as a Range Extender,  don't re-choose this option.  Once it is configured as a "Range Extender" you can modify the "Wireless" settings especially "Name (SSID)" to your requirements (including removing the "_almond" part on the Wireless settings screen.  These changes will be persistent (unless you forget the "Done" button when you have finished editing the field).

Your Almond operates in one of three operating modes: 
  • Router
  • Repeater
  • Wireless Access Point

Once the correct operating mode has been "set",  all Wireless settings changes should be performed on the Wireless settings screen:

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline billybob

• Acorn
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:52 pm »
Thanks, that fixed it! Apparently I picked range extender again, which is what was adding it back in. Now it is gone, and it did connect as a range extender.

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.