bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Range extender for Zwave?  (Read 17305 times)

Offline obmd1

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Range extender for Zwave?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:08 pm »
The reason I started the thread was that the GE in wall binary on/off switch on the wiki listed as tested with A+ does NOT rebroadcast. I have a multi-sensor that loses the network NEXT to them. Further, the Aeon labs repeater does not work with A+. The take home message is carefully look at even the hard wired sensors and switches you are looking at.

Offline SecureComp

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 11:44:26 pm »
The reason I started the thread was that the GE in wall binary on/off switch on the wiki listed as tested with A+ does NOT rebroadcast. I have a multi-sensor that loses the network NEXT to them. Further, the Aeon labs repeater does not work with A+. The take home message is carefully look at even the hard wired sensors and switches you are looking at.

If you have the multi sensor next to the GE binary, it "should" use the GE binary as a repeater node, but if it can see the control hub, it may not. Depends on how sophisticated the routing is on the GE binary (what rev/gen level ZWave they are using). I was looking at the GE switches and some of them are older.  In any case, the routing issue could be in any of the devices. Would have to dig into some logs to find out.

Thanks for providing the feedback. I'm getting some binary switches and intending to use them as repeaters.  Still on the fence about the multi sensor but it looks interesting.
Kickstarter Backer
Securifi Wiki Editor and Beta Tester, Not a Securifi employee
Almond+, many sensors, IOS App, Android Apps and Widgets

Offline bebopblues

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 09:22:39 pm »
It works!

I paired the GE/Jasco 45604 the Almond+ and confirmed it working. Then I plugged it in an area that's roughly the mid-distance between the Almond+ and the Kwikset deadbolt. And voila, after a few mins, I could lock and unlock the deadbolt from Almond+ interface.

So the GE/Jasco 45604 can be a good Z-Wave range extender.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:32 pm »
Excellent

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 06:48:48 am »
Good news. Looks like I might be grabbing one just to see if some of the current problems I have will be resolved.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline alexdavid4

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 11:09:52 am »
I also have Kwikset deadbolts, after reading the success in this thread ordered 2x of the GE/Jasco 45604's.   With an Alarm.com G2 panel still can't control the basement door @ my house.  The door handle is 3 feet from the 45604 and the switch works great.  I also have several other z-wave switches much farther out than this lock that all work great.  I have tried 3 different manufacturers of dead bolts with no luck so I was excited when I saw this thread.... Still bummed

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 08:38:58 pm »
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but anyone found a good Z-Wave secure-signal repeater.  I have 2 Schlage z-wave locks that are seemingly too far from A+. 
Does anyone know if this Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Switch could be used as a repeater for secure z-wave commands:

http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Aeotec-Z-Wave-Switch/dp/B00VQISOCG/ref=pd_sim_147_29?ie=UTF8&dpID=41tM57UJ6IL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1440YWCG7P9CPR7MHZ89

After all, it's wall powered and zwave-plus?

Andy

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 09:53:58 pm »
@ Andy,

This http://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-Extender-Repeater-DSD37-ZWUS/dp/B00K7QZUZM seems to work just fine, even though it shows unknown sensor, however, let me recheck once again and let you know.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 11:02:45 pm »
I just picked up one of the GE outdoor switches from Lowe's for $12.50. Ymmv...

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 01:40:35 am »
This is the recurring requrements explanation on various forums:
Here are some requirements for the repeaters to work for the door lock:
1) The Door lock must have FLiRs enabled (repeater allows beaming which allows the repeater to wake up the doorlock).
2) The door lock and repeater must see each other as neighbors

Some suggestions to force the door lock and repeater to see each other as neighbors.
1) Re-include the door lock after the repeater has been included
into the network to force the doorlock to see the repeater as a
potential neighbor. (This method may require you to move the gateway
closer since the repeater does not support NWI).
2) Wake up the door lock, and run a network heal or optimization to update neighbor nodes

What's FLiRs (besides forward-looking infrared)?  Is there such a thing as network healing or optimization in Almond+?

Also, since z-wave is supposed to be a mesh network by definition, aren't all the mains-powered z-wave devices supposed to be repeaters, especially the zwave+ ones?

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 07:49:43 am »
@ Andy,

Ideally, yes almost all the main power supply switches would act as repeaters, but we can't give 100% guarantee because it depends on vendor. The following we have tested and it is working as Repeater.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-Wireless-Lighting-Control-Appliance/dp/B0013V58HU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451392654&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=ZL7201+Z-Wave+Plug-in

Offline Andy

• Backer
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 08:09:31 pm »
Thanks Ashok,

What SigmaDesigns is telling us is that zwave+ (500 series) devices are backwards compatible with regular zwave.  So, based on that, my preference would be to future-proof my investment and obtain zwave+ devices instead of regular zwave. 

However, in your experience, do zwave+ (500 series) devices work better or worse than their regular zwave counterparts?  I understand, that some of the specific zwave+ functionality will not work out of the box with A+, like ota updates, etc

My preference also lies with Aeon Labs devices, as they have embedded power monitoring as well.  And even if Almond+ may not be currently supporting certain capabilities, these products are mainstream enough that, i am sure, the support will come at some point in the very distant future, perhaps when 0.84 is released...

Andy

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:52 am »
@ Andy,

You are most welcome. Unfortunately, Almond+ is not 500 series, however, there are few Z-wave plus devices which work fine with basic functionality like repeater. If you

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck