bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Is the Almond+ still in beta?  (Read 11014 times)

Offline sleepingpython

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Re: Can not connect to the router after upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 04:26:17 am »
Lars:

You clearly do not see things the way i do. The ability to function as a basic router means that is has gone pass alpha?

So, to my knowledge, this has gone past beta (pledge level USD349) and the 802.11ac 5ghz currently performs approximately as fast as this:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31058-asus-rt-n16-gigabit-n-router-reviewed

Pardon me if i'm wrong about the tech lingo of beta/alpha. I don't think just because a nespresso can make a cup of coffee, it can call itself a barista. Likewise, unless u can deliver on the 802.11ac speeds, i don't think u can call yourself a 802.11ac router.

LGNilsson

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:44 am »
Well, for one, I'm not tech support. Secondly, I take offence when people are being rude, racists and impolite on the forums.

If someone is so unhappy to the degree shown here, I'd rather offer a refund than argue points or ask them to wait for fixes, yourself included.

As for the beta/dev backers, most of them, we never heard from, that's not really our fault, as we can't force people to actively take part in a beta/dev program that they've paid to join. Nor can we force anyone here to upgrade their firmware for example. There's something called free will and if people aren't willing to do things, we're at no point going to force them to do so.

As for your specific unit, it's possible that there's something wrong with it. Can you give some actual performance figures instead of linking to a review of an unrelated non AC router?
Without any specifics, I can't say even begin to guess what's going on.
Also, as you might've not noticed, we've pointed out in the firmware release notes that the Wi-Fi performance hasn't been optimized as yet,
It would also be good to know what your client device is, as without knowing that, it's hard to say what kind of performance you should be seeing.

That said, I personally only own once 802.11ac device, my HTC m8 and I can max out my 120Mbps internet connection using it and we've tested much higher speeds than that using the current drivers/firmware.

Yes, maybe I stepped out of line a bit, but we're trying to help people get their product working and then getting rude comments just because someone doesn't like the way we've set something up to try to prevent spammers, rude comments about our support team based on where they're from/where they're located, etc. is simply not something I'm going to put up with.

If you have legit concerns and issues, we'll deal with them and get them fixed, but certain things takes time for us to figure out as to be frank, we didn't find these issues during our internal testing over the past year or so, so many of the issues caught us with our pants down for a lack of a better description.

At the end of the day, if someone is so unhappy that they don't want the product, we're willing to issue refunds, but we can't pay for the return postage in these cases, as we've already sent a product out that costs more than what was pledged. Admittedly that is our won fault, as we made the changes, but at the same time, we've delivered more than what was promised when we started the Kickstarter campaign.

I'm sorry if I was offensive, but I'm working 7 days a week trying to help everyone out regardless of what the issue might be and when I get enough lip, I need to vent sometimes too, but maybe this was the wrong place to do so.

Offline sleepingpython

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 07:52:48 am »
I have already highlighted my issues to tech support so I'm not going to paste all the screenshot and speed test results here. Like I mentioned above, I have a 1gbps Internet connection at home but I'm only getting the speeds on 150-200mbps on wifi but 800-900mbps on wired lan. Since u are not tech support and u have been over worked, I'm just gonna sign off here and let LD have his topic back.

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 07:57:35 am »
I have already highlighted my issues to tech support so I'm not going to paste all the screenshot and speed test results here. Like I mentioned above, I have a 1gbps Internet connection at home but I'm only getting the speeds on 150-200mbps on wifi but 800-900mbps on wired lan. Since u are not tech support and u have been over worked, I'm just gonna sign off here and let LD have his topic back.

Just something to bear in mind... all speeds are theoretical and highly dependant on the medium involved. You confirm you're connected on 5Ghz, correct? that's the only band that would be going faster than N. If I get time this weekend, I'll move one of my A+'s by the cablemodem and do some actual throughput tests.. while my cable connection is only 100Meg, the devices involved on the lan will be gigabit and/or AC. (the cablemodem has a gigabit port too)..

Offline joltdude

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 08:06:43 am »
Folks relax.  Even routers from the big names like netgear and Asus have had issues out of the box..  My Asus router would not even establish a pppoe connection via dsl.  You bought the first gen of this particular router..  Theres a very big difference with debugging hardware and software because you don't know what happens when it's taken home and exposed to various standards and configurations..  You can test it in house but still miss something you didn't forsee...  Give them time to crank out a few fixes and see how it goes...  If your this sensitive you shouldn't have bought in

LGNilsson

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:17:35 am »

That's a bit on the low side for sure, but please don't ever expect to get Gigabit speed over 802.11ac, it's just not possible.
We're working on a new firmware that'll hopefully address the performance issues and deliver speeds in a range that you'll at least be ok with, if not through the roof about. We shouldn't have a problem doubling the speeds you're getting now over Wi-Fi if your client is capable of those kind of speeds.

LGNilsson

Re: Is the Almond+ still in beta?
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 08:42:26 am »
Topic split from original topic.

Offline sleepingpython

• Backer
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 03:50:49 am »
That's a bit on the low side for sure, but please don't ever expect to get Gigabit speed over 802.11ac, it's just not possible.
We're working on a new firmware that'll hopefully address the performance issues and deliver speeds in a range that you'll at least be ok with, if not through the roof about. We shouldn't have a problem doubling the speeds you're getting now over Wi-Fi if your client is capable of those kind of speeds.

Lars: its possible now, or at least it's really close to gigabit speed with the Nighthawk and Asus AC68U. Once the compatible client comes out for it, the Asus AC87u is probably the fastest and first to hit 1gigabit.

I spent more than an hour with tech support on past Saturday midnight my time and it was a sad state of affairs. Let's just say the router was affectively cut off from the internet and i had to download the firmware from my phone and re-flash it myself.

Sorphin/Joltdude: The speeds i mentioned were done on Asus USB-AC56 less than 3 meters away from the router. Some pictures if you are interested (with the test results). The telltale sign that there's a problem (from Securifi tech support) is that the upload speed is faster than the download speed:

http://imgur.com/a/VNL23

If you guys run similar tests, let me know how it goes.

LGNilsson

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 04:02:14 am »
It might very well be something wrong with your Almond+. It does look like it judging by the fact that the upload speed is faster than the download speed as you pointed out.
Would you accept a replacement unit? If so, let the support team know and we'll get one sorted out.

Offline sleepingpython

• Backer
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:31 am »
They are still fairly convinced that it's a firmware issue? I don't think this is a widespread issue because as Ashok said, there isn't that many people with Internet fast enough for the router to be the bottleneck.

I'll do a replacement if securifi thinks it will solve the issue, but only when it's certain it's hardware and not software.

LGNilsson

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 05:51:13 am »
Ok, let's wait and see once they bring out the next couple of versions, as we have a new driver coming. And you're right, most people wouldn't be affected in the same way as you are, but that still doesn't look right imho.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.