Choose style:

Author Topic: Range Extender is slow  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Gamer

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Range Extender is slow
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:30 am »
I recently purchased the almond, I got it setup and since then... It's been slow. I play World of Warcraft so I need a good internet connection. My house is really big so I needed an extender.

What information do you guys need to figure out what may be wrong?

Amritendu

Re: Range Extender is slow
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:43 am »
Technically, its not unusual that there would be a considerable speed drop (upto 30-40%) while a Range Extender of any make and model is used. Adding Range Extender to an existing network creates additional network hops, and sadly it's a tradeoff for the extended range one enjoys. Verify the speed at the Almond's location over your main network (use a speed test app) and you can expect a 30-40 drop post it goes through the extender.

Offline Gamer

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:42:21 pm »
Is there any way to speed it up at all? It makes it hard to even browse the internet. Kind've a waste of the $90 at this point.

Amritendu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:52:10 am »
Hmmm...first thing, check the speed which Almond is receiving off the router's Wi-Fi. Just stand beside the Almond, connect any mobile device(cell phone, tablet, laptop etc.) to the router's Wi-Fi network (not the Almond's extended one) and run a speed test (use speedtest.net or its app for iOS/Android). if the speed at this location is low to begin with, I am afraid there isn't much that can be done.

But if the DL speed is decent enough, it would be helpful to know how far is the Almond placed from the router and then how far is your computer from the Almond which is used to play WOW.

Offline Gamer

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:09:32 pm »
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3791851047.png <--- my main router
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3791855435.png <--- Almond

I am also only about 10 feet from the almond and I have full strength of WiFi. Almond is about 25 feet from the main router and is on the 1st level where as Almond is on the 2nd level and I get 3 bars of WiFi from my main router.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.