bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Having Trouble Keeping Connection in Online Games  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Sunarcis

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Having Trouble Keeping Connection in Online Games
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:24:43 am »
Our old router died so we were without a router for a bit. I connected directly to the modem via Ethernet cable and had no problems with internet. I hear that a family member bought a router online (the Almond router) and so I waited until it arrived and she set it up. I got it connected to my laptop via wifi and did what I usually do. It wasn't until I got into my favorite game that the issue started showing up. The game would kick me off at around 8 1/2 minutes after connecting every time I tried to log on. I only know because I was trying to record my playtime.

After messing around with the port forwarding/channels and such, I went to bed frustrated and decided to take the laptop back due to faulty wifi card (other people were complaining about the same card). I took it back, got my money back but was without a PC for about a week and a half as I tried to get a replacement. I noted my phone was having issues getting things to load while I am in my room sometimes. My new PC (A desktop) came in the mail and I got it set up. It is using a USB wifi adapter, which I later discovered to be unwilling to work sometimes. Figuring I would have issues with wifi again, I grabbed a wifi extender from my local store and set it up as well.

After being on my new desktop computer all day, I have found no improvement with the disconnecting issue and I find my wifi quality to be lacking. I do have a closet and a open space between me and the router but I can't think of any way to solve it. The wifi extender will have the pseudo-wifi up but sometimes it wont let me connect. When my USB adapter fails (which is too often, and is the only way to connect to the real wifi and the pseudo one), the only way I get internet is through the Ethernet cable connecting the wifi extender to my desktop, which makes no sense to me if I can't connect to the pseudo-wifi, but ok.

I am sorry if this is horribly long, but I want to make sure I give all info and what I have tried. This is getting very frustrating and I am tempted to get a secondary router just for me but I don't even know if it will work with the ISP and size of the house. My family has NO issues with it, I am the only one. It is getting very old to be seen as someone who just finds fault in everything when I am trying my best to figure out how to fix it without having to spend more money. Please, can someone give me a hint on what to try next? I don't know if it is the distance, the router, or both. I have had no issue like this before in other routers.

Amritendu

Re: Having Trouble Keeping Connection in Online Games
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:31:48 am »
Few things are not clear here. What distance are we talking about here? Clearly when Almond is used as a Router, the range of it would be lesser than that of the Range Extender mode.In short it seems to be more of a distance issue. Give us a little more info about the distance between the router and your room, how many walls in between, what brand of extender you are using etc. will try to figure out a resolution for you.

Offline Sunarcis

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:06:16 pm »
There is about 30ft between the router and my PC in a straight line. There is a closet between my room and the wide space that is my living room. I didn't think that would cause so much issues. My last router never lost connection like this one does, though it had horrible lag sometimes.

Amritendu

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 05:16:05 am »
Question: Does this disconnect stands for all other devices in the house (of your family members) or specific to your devices in your room? If it stands for all devices in the house, the next time it happens just go down to the Almond, tap on "Status" and check if it shows "Internet disconnected" with a red square or not. If yes, then go back to home screen, just keep on tapping "More" till you reach the last screen, tap on "About" and check if the software version says "R199" or not.

If all I mentioned above is correct, then essentially its not a Wi-Fi issue you are facing, but something else that we can help you fix. Just check and let us know.

Offline Sunarcis

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:47:01 am »
It appears the devices in my room have the most trouble. My cell phone would have some issues while in my room, from time to time. Slow connection, and the like. My friend would have occasional issues too, mostly with the game. It looks like only the programs that are the strictest on needing a constant connection really have trouble staying connected. I play two MMORPGs, World of Warcraft and Rift. They both seem to have trouble staying connected. It appears to help a little when I actually got a better USB wifi adapter, but it still disconnects. Now that I think about it, I only really have a big problem with those types of games.

The software is indeed R199.

Edit: It seems like my adapter doesn't like WoW either, since it stops working after a few minutes in the game. A similar issue befell my last adapter too. Now that makes less sense then the router not liking my PC. What on earth is going on?!

I am starting to think there are several issues going on here. That can't all possibly be linked. Unless my PC is doing something the router dislikes and so the router somehow shuts down my wifi adapters. Now I am starting to sound crazy. Or maybe something is amiss in the PC's network settings.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:06:16 am by Sunarcis »

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.