Choose style:

Author Topic: R066 - Are you happy?  (Read 4188 times)

Offline firefox87

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
R066 - Are you happy?
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:07 pm »
Pool for the new firmware R066...  ;)

Offline syntax1269

• Backer
Re: R066 - Are you happy?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:32:23 pm »
in AP mode, Almond+ doesn't take static assigned IP address.
in AP mode, Doesn't connect to internet.
WiFi performance could be greatly improved.
*** please ability to add sensors though phone app
just a few things that i have noticed.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »
If you want to assign a static IP to the Almond+ you can assign a static DHCP lease from your main router.
I'm surprised about the second issue, as in as much as we have some issues with the AP mode, no internet connection isn't one of them.
We're working on improving the Wi-Fi performance, give it a firmware or two.
Adding sensors via the app is not going to happen, sorry.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:54:17 pm »
The VPN server fix was a big one for me, as I now have secure remote access.  Just yesterday I remotely added a new PIN code to my front door for my nephew who was coming over when no one was home, and it worked perfectly.  That is the first truly useful thing I've been able to do in terms of home automation.

Power monitoring for my smart switch is proving to be fun to play with (now that I'm getting the SDK figured out), but there is a long way to go with my thermostat, general home automation (events and the like), etc.

What I'd really like to have is some kind of "How to add sensor support" guide: I have a light switch which shows as an "unsupported device" that I'd really like to use.  If all the backers had some guidelines on how to help add sensor support, we could really ramp up the collection of working devices

Offline Mike

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 03:57:20 pm »
yes, because hardware is/feels solid,...
room for improvement absolutely! But thats mostly because of the automation possibilities where the reason I wanted the Almond+ in the first place.
in a way, I didn't mind the delay in shipping. since it was clear before shipping that the software/sensor-support was not yet to up to it's full potential. still thinking/hoping that the almond+ will shine in that area.

So far been using it in AP mode and really appreciate the speed gain through 5GhZ band and overall better reception then my previous/current Cable-modem/Router/AP combo.

one thing comes to mind while having the almond sitting on my desk for over a week now, I find it hard to imagine how to get the most out of the device. If a want to use it as a champion router with the full clutter of lan and usb cables attached it has to go to a cabinet or at least a corner of a room. While it can also be a neat device to put around the entry of the living room(with just a hidden power cable), making full use of the touch screen and act as a main control for the appliances and surroundings off the area.

Offline RevdMark

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 04:13:44 pm »
Honestly, the screw up with the static ip addresses disappearing into the openwrt config has been a pain in the arse.  Especially as I mostly work on mine using my iphone, which is unable to access the pages on the openwrt interface because of the way the menus are coded (that's the same for Safari and Chrome)

I also think the wifi performance was affected negatively with this update.  I've noticed that the 5ghz connections have been dropping randomly from my iphone, so I've had to revert to the 2.4 connection.

Sadly not the improvement I was hoping for.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck