bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Can my Almond be plugged in downstream of my router and act as another router?  (Read 7990 times)

Offline jztemple

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
This is related to a problem I brought up in another post, but it's a sort of conceptual question and so I think deserves it's own thread.

I had an epiphany while lying in bed thinking about my previous problem. Patrick had mentioned plugging in the Almond to an Ethernet cable so as to make it a wireless access point. This got me thinking... I have a Netgear router that connects to two computers, one right next to it, the other (my wife's) is two rooms away. We ran an Ethernet cable to her office because she doesn't want to deal with using wireless on her desktop.

So I'm thinking, could I disconnect the Ethernet from her computer, plug it into the Almond which I'd move to her desk, and then plug the Almond output into my wife's computer? Like this:

modem --> Netgear router --> Almond router --> computer

Would this be able to work? I'm totally unaware if a router can be plugged into another router without all sorts of chaos. Also I'm assuming that the Almond being used this way could also function as a wireless access point, would this be true as well?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
This is related to a problem I brought up in another post, but it's a sort of conceptual question and so I think deserves it's own thread.

I had an epiphany while lying in bed thinking about my previous problem. Patrick had mentioned plugging in the Almond to an Ethernet cable so as to make it a wireless access point. This got me thinking... I have a Netgear router that connects to two computers, one right next to it, the other (my wife's) is two rooms away. We ran an Ethernet cable to her office because she doesn't want to deal with using wireless on her desktop.

So I'm thinking, could I disconnect the Ethernet from her computer, plug it into the Almond which I'd move to her desk, and then plug the Almond output into my wife's computer? Like this:

modem --> Netgear router --> Almond router --> computer

Would this be able to work? I'm totally unaware if a router can be plugged into another router without all sorts of chaos. Also I'm assuming that the Almond being used this way could also function as a wireless access point, would this be true as well?

Absolutely!   Unplug the cable for your Wife's computer,  and plug it into the "gray" WAN port on the Almond.    You can then use another cable to connect your wifes computer into one of the Almond's Ethernet ports.  Your wife will have the "wired" connection she already knows. 

Setup your Almond as an "Access Point".  This will configure it to connect to your Netgear via DHCP.  You'll be impressed how easy it is to setup. 

• Find the "Access Point" tile,  and click it.
  • Click "Enable"

Go grab your favourite beverage.   That was hard work!   :-*

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:35:38 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline jztemple

• Acorn
I did as as you suggested and it was amazing easy! I'm glad you posted the screenshots, that helped me to figure out that I needed to go to the last page of the menus. I clicked "Enable", it did it's thing for a few seconds and then the new wireless network was up and running and my wife's computer was again connected to the wired network.

Can't wait for Almond+ to be released so I can replace my old router  :)

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.