bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Access to IP-address in App/Cloud  (Read 4962 times)

Offline DarkJedi

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Access to IP-address in App/Cloud
« on: October 04, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »
It is a bit annoying to be forced to use the touch-panel to see which ip-address the Almond+ is given (assigned my local DHCP-server) when I have to access the webgui - especially since most of the real diagnosis happens in the webgui :)

Even better would be to have it broadcast on the lan - like my other NAS and router devices, so that I can locate it without having to find the ip address manually firxt.

Must be a small thing to add, I hope...

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Access to IP-address in App/Cloud
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:37 pm »
Seconded

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:49:57 pm »
Why wouldn't you just assign a static DHCP lease from your DHCP server to the Almond+ so it always uses the same IP address?
I'm curious, what other routers do you have that supports OOB? This is not a feature I've ever seen on a router, although it's common on most NAS:es.

Offline DarkJedi

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:34 am »
Because I don't have admin access to the primary router, which is running the DHCP server and prefer to be able to bind service consumption from clients (tv, ipad, xbox, sonos) to names not ip's of the server services (printer, nas, router/access point).

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:46 am »
Well, this isn't something that's going to happen any time soon, that's for sure, as we have far more important things to do right now.
What you want to do is a "depreciated" way of doing networking and it's a really bad way of doing things, just saying.

Offline DarkJedi

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »
Always Nice to know that my way is deprecated by your standards.... Please enlighten me!

What would you do when you have no admin access to the DHCP server?

Do you want me to find the newly assigned ip address for my NAS into my PS3 every time I need files on it?

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:36 pm »
Not by our standard, by generally accepted and used networking standards.

We might very well put the IP in the app in the future as suggest in the topic subject, but it'll take some time.

Almost everyone has access to their DHCP server and even in your case, normally the same IP address is re-assigned by the DHCP server to same device unless you have a very limited amount of address leases and a huge rotation of devices.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck