Choose style:

Author Topic: OpenWRT G2 QoS  (Read 15890 times)

Offline jwoldan

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
OpenWRT G2 QoS
« on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:58 pm »
I tried to set a WAN upstream bandwidth limit on the G2 QoS settings in OpenWRT on my Almond+, but it does not seem to have any effect.  Is this a known issue?  Are there plans to fix this feature?

LGNilsson

Re: OpenWRT G2 QoS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:32:20 am »
It's not working properly, but we'll get this fixed once we've sorted out some more pressing issues.

Offline jwoldan

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:01:21 pm »
Thank you for the reply, I'll keep an eye out for future updates.

Offline jeffbax

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:05 pm »
It's not working properly, but we'll get this fixed once we've sorted out some more pressing issues.
Found this thread searching for some kind of guide for the QoS screen. Not exactly sure if this is impacting me or not… but curious of the priority for QoS in general.

We have multiple consoles in the house, and any time one is streaming video it completely kills the other's ability to play games without lag (despite the one streaming being on Wifi and the one gaming wired). I tried to set up QoS and it caused the other machine to get disconnected from games my roommate was trying to play (amusingly, while I was streaming). Really frustrating at the moment, but perhaps it's my own doing and I'm not understanding things right.

My setup is essentially setting WAN to 25000 down, 5000 up (pretty on target for our Comcast spec)

I then put the wired PS4 into Urgent (PQ7), and it apparently hosed everything else so I lowered them down. (PQ4, PQ3 for the rest of TCP/UDP traffic) - perhaps I'm doing this entirely wrong, and I should only put the one wired PS4 into any QoS tier? I'm just trying to make sure that one doesn't get hosed since it's the one that is likely to be gaming while the other room is streaming… but am struggling to find out if QoS is simply broken (like the webpage navigation links to WRT at all in Safari) or the problem this user is discussing is the only part broken for QoS and I'm just using it wrong.

Offline Olithic

• Beta Testers
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:04:21 pm »
Is there an update to this thread?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »
Afraid not

Offline Karin

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:36:41 pm »
I'm surprised more people don't use QoS, it's so darn useful!  But, I get that it can be complicated to set up and that if you have enough bandwidth it becomes less of an issue.  As an example, I've put 50 concurrent users through a 2Mbps connection before and could only do so effectively with QoS prioritizing traffic.  Although I know this is not the typical usage for this home device.

But even for a home network, the idea of a single Steam download or large software update making FaceTime/Skype calls lag or chop up, even though I'm on a 25Mbps connection, just chews me up.  :P  So... here's another huge vote for QoS, which I know is still on the to-do list, and thanks again for everything you do for this awesome router!

This hasn't stopped me from trying to set it up though.  Lars says "it's not working properly", but I'm not sure if this means it's completely inoperable, or if the UI just isn't linked properly.  Barring any further insight from Lars or someone else at Securifi, has anyone else had any luck with the implementation as-is?

I can see it is affecting the traffic on my network, but I don't think priority rules are being applied.  My total upstream throughput seems to be determined by my lowest-priority rule.  That's about as far as I have gotten in my tests so far.

FWIW, I the easiest QoS implementation I've ever seen has been in Tomato, and the best performance I've seen has been in dd-wrt.

Offline Karin

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
Is QoS any further along or higher up on the development priority list?

I don't mean to pester, I'm just curious since it's been three months since the last update.

Personally, I want a router with fantastic hardware (and you guys aced it) and decent router capabilities (and Almond+ is already very solid). QoS was included in the Kickstarter goals, and I'm dying for it to be implemented by you guys one day ;D Especially with VoIP and more and more media-heavy devices coming online competing for the same bandwidth.  Thanks!

If working QoS is still a ways off, and before I head down this road, is it technically sound for me to disable the built-in QoS and utilize packages I hear other OpenWRT implementations using, like "luci-app-qos"?  I'm experienced with Tomato and dd-wrt routers, not so much with OpenWRT yet.

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:53:20 pm »
Not that I'm aware of, but I've passed on your feedback to the software team.

Offline rkalt

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:10:15 pm »
Here's another vote for QoS.
Especially since the last firmware update (R072), I have problems during large downloads:
my internet radio begins to stutter, and other devices' network access (iPad etc.) get really slow

Offline greggerca

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:44:14 pm »
Yes - another vote for QoS.
I notice that calls on our VoIP boxes (like the AT&T MicroCell) will drop or cut out when downloads start, or exactly when a lot of "chatty JavaScript" pages (e.g. Facebook) are loaded.

I set my parameters for QoS as best I could, but there's no detectable difference.

Can you install one of the OpenWRT QoS packages (and uninstall this one)?

Amritendu

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 12:49:33 pm »
QoS is surely a priority and is a feature requested by many. It would be added, but don't have a fixed timeline yet. Not too sure about external WRT packages, but will try and get an update from the developers on this.

Offline greggerca

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:11:06 am »
Hi there,
Any reply on doing better QoS? Either in the new firmware just released or via an alternate package?

I would also like to explore just trying (for example) the AllJoyn OpenWRT package without screwing anything up royally. ;)

Although, QoS is a higher "priority" (heh...).

Thanks!

Offline IrishRuman

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 01:44:55 am »
If they can get router functions down. Why don't they open it up to run dd-wrt
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:43:04 am by IrishRuman »

Offline mr23

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 01:13:37 pm »
QoS is surely a priority and is a feature requested by many. It would be added, but don't have a fixed timeline yet. Not too sure about external WRT packages, but will try and get an update from the developers on this.

Rather than the developers, can you ask the Product Manager ?

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.