bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: external antenna connection  (Read 6796 times)

Offline erikboehringer

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
external antenna connection
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »
for those who use external antenna boosters..it would be GREAT to have one (two or three with different bands would be even better!) connectors (N-Connector or Type N threaded prefered) hidden behind a little rubber flap(s) that could be closed and secured when not used.

i know this would take some changes on the internal PCB to accept the connector(s), but it would be a GREAT feature to have on the future Almond+

...am i the only one thinking this??

a lot of 'current' routers have 2.4ghz & 5ghz omni directional external antenna's, but it would be great to have these options on the Almond+ ...with the twist of hiding the connector(s) to keep the sleek look of the overall router. 

this could be done ..i know that it can be done .. PLEASE?!?!?

LGNilsson

Re: external antenna connection
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:13:03 am »
Could, yes, but it's not as easy as you'd think due to the fact that we're using power amplifiers. It would require a few extra components that would increase the cost of the Almond+ and we'd have to figure out a way to switch between the antenna outputs easily. As for the power amplifiers, if you remove the antenna on a router with power amplifiers you can and most likely will damage the router permanently if you power it on like this.
We've had a fair bit of feedback on Kickstarter about this and it's something we've looked into, but as of right now I don't think it'll be included.

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »
Could, yes, but it's not as easy as you'd think due to the fact that we're using power amplifiers. It would require a few extra components that would increase the cost of the Almond+ and we'd have to figure out a way to switch between the antenna outputs easily. As for the power amplifiers, if you remove the antenna on a router with power amplifiers you can and most likely will damage the router permanently if you power it on like this.
We've had a fair bit of feedback on Kickstarter about this and it's something we've looked into, but as of right now I don't think it'll be included.

This advice is definitely accurate.  This is why CB Radio technicians used "dummy loads" on CB Radios when servicing them.  (Does anyone around here remember CB Radios?  I retired all my Citizen Band radios more than 20 years ago). 

As you increase the DBi "gain" of the antenna,  you need to reduce the dBm amplification of the Radio, in order to remain within Regulatory compliance.  People that fail to understand this when using external antennas may end up getting visits from their Governments,  for operating  non-compliant equipment.  Such visits are never fun. 

A misconfigured Transciever can cause havoc on neighbouring (compliant) trancievers,   (including Emergency 911 Dispatch services),  so the penalties for operating in this fashion can be severe,  and some jurisdictions may penalize the guilty party,  even if they were not aware that their equipment and/or configuration of their equipment was causing the issue.   

You can't simply install higher gain antennas without understanding this.  If you aren't familiar with radio and antenna theory,  then you should enlist assistance from a local HAM Radio operator to ensure your equipment is still regulatory compliant.  The fines for operating non-compliant equipment can be severe indeed.  Here in North America,  we can only operate at 1W with standard 3-5dBi antennas (the most common type in most routers I'm aware of),  but we can lower our power to 0.25W and upgrade to a 24dbi antennas for point-to-point Wi-Fi connections in order to get an effective (narrow-beam) power of 60W at the antenna.  Most consumers want omni-directional antennas (to maximize Wi-Fi coverage area),  so this does not apply to most consumers as they aren't setting up point-to-point Wi-Fi networks.   (This technique is common in large Wi-Fi Mesh networks though).

This technique when used with Yagi antennas can make a Wi-Fi connection go for Miles/Kms.  Check your local regulations to see what is possible within your regulatory area.  Again the penalties for non-compliance can be severe.  Personally I choose to stick to the manufacturers design,  as this allows me to blame the manufacturer rather than myself if my equipment is ever questioned.   

Power boosters,  (not provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)) can lead to serious fines.  As Lars stated compliance isn't as easy as some might like to believe. 

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:51:07 pm by Lars »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline pete

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 09:15:02 am »
Here and there I have kept it simple relating to wireless. 

I did just replace a DD-WRT'd AP in second house after 3 years and leaving it at some 100Mw with a stock antenna which can cause issues as the off the shelf default is around 20Mw on the older AP's.

The AP was in the center of a home mounted high up in a utility closest.

The last few years have utilized a POE attic mounted Ubiquiti AP which has covered the entire home just fine.  (4 floors down with no issues).

Now looking at something like this.  It would be probably mounted on the second floor ceiling rather than the attic.

I also utilize one of these in the garage; almost been 10 years now.  Its made for hotel room installations and is a standard POE AP, firewall, wireless and network device.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:48:43 am by pete »
[img width= height= alt=" width="250" height="52" class="bbc_img resized]http://forum.securifi.com/Themes/Firox_multicolor_by_SMFSimple/images/logo.png[/img]
Pete
Lockport, IL  USA

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.