bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Firmware R067  (Read 18566 times)

Offline chad.siegmann

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Firmware R067
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:12:44 am »
When is a newer version of the firmware coming?

LGNilsson

Re: Firmware R067
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:11:09 am »
We're currently testing a beta release to make sure things are working properly. Due to all the changes implemented this time. i.e. new Wi-Fi drivers etc. its taking a bit longer to test this release. I'm afraid I don't have an exact release date as yet.

Offline AshTR

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:38 am »
We're currently testing a beta release to make sure things are working properly. Due to all the changes implemented this time. i.e. new Wi-Fi drivers etc. its taking a bit longer to test this release. I'm afraid I don't have an exact release date as yet.

Any chance of a rough estimate, such as by the end of the month or the next? It's not usually a habit for me to check the forum daily, sometimes not even weekly, and a good timeframe for when to check would be awesome.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:54 am »
I honestly don't know.
We'll post an update on Kickstarter and on the blog when the new firmware is released.
We're also going to add a feature to the LCD UI and longer term the mobile apps where you'll get a notification when there's a new firmware available.

Offline vince1612

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:13 pm »
I honestly don't know.
We'll post an update on Kickstarter and on the blog when the new firmware is released.
We're also going to add a feature to the LCD UI and longer term the mobile apps where you'll get a notification when there's a new firmware available.

I was told that this update would be the last that we need to manually install through the web UI. Does that mean that we will do it manually for R066 to R067 but going to R068 will be done on the Almond+ touchscreen directly?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 05:52:00 am »
Yes, that's correct, it's there in the UI already under settings, software update.

Offline bgraham34

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:51 am »
Is there a somewhat steady Beta Available. I am constantly disconnecting my iphones and ipads from the wireless. Its making it more and more difficult to do anything.

Offline burnz

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 02:26:19 pm »
Is there any possibility to get the beta version R067?
With R066 my macbook and my iphone is unable to download anything except of web surfing.. that is horrible.. it can't be worse with a beta version..

Offline aliengar0

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 07:39:51 pm »
Can we know if it's in QA yet or still Dev? Anything really - the iOS stuff is bothersome and so is the fact that my time machine backup started to become unreliable after the R066.

Offline javier2204

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
Do I have to install R066 before I install R067?
Almond+

LGNilsson

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 10:24:15 pm »
The new firmware is being tested, but we've decided to split it in two due to some issues with the range extender that's taking longer to solve than we'd hoped for.
As such the next release will include most fixes, but not the new Wi-Fi drivers that we've promised, since if we include those, the range extender won't work.

As for the upgrade path, no, you wouldn't need to install R066 to go to R067 when it's released.

Offline gergles

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:20:54 pm »
You've got to be kidding. I don't give a rat's bunny about the range extender, I care about half my devices constantly needing to be babied to stay connected to my router. IMO, you should strongly consider releasing two separate branches of the firmware, then, one with the wi-fi drivers and one without.

LGNilsson

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:01 pm »
Hopefully it won't be too far between R067 and R068, but as the new Wi-Fi drivers require a lot of other changes as well, it's not that simple.
We know this is a frustrating problem and we're trying to get the new drivers out in a firmware as quickly as possible, but we don't want to release yet another firmware that's causing problems.

Offline SteveD

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 10:11:25 pm »
I've got to 2nd gergles here. The current version of the Almond+ is failing one of its primary functions, that being to provide wireless connectivity (the word reliable shouldn't be optional there). If it comes down to releasing new firmware that will (hopefully) fix the current lack of reliability, or incorporates range extension functionality that would undoubtedly be useful/required by only a fractional percentage of the user base, I'd say the priority should be clear to the development team. If it's not, it may be time for a survey of owners for our input.

LGNilsson

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:48:58 pm »
Sorry, but it's not going to happen as we haven't done enough testing with the new Wi-Fi drivers as yet and as I mentioned above, we don't want to release another firmware that has more issues.
Yes, we're aware a fair few people are having issues with the current Wi-Fi drivers, but this is why we also want to make sure things are working properly, instead of releasing something that will cause further frustration, it's not just a matter of the range extender, as that's just one of the concerns we have.
We're testing a firmware based on the new drivers, but it hasn't been 100% smooth sailing, but in general it's proven to solve most issues, but it has also introduced a couple of new ones.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck