Choose style:

Author Topic: Direct connection to Almond+ when connected to its network. For sensor control  (Read 8472 times)

Offline sfalc

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
It would be nice if the app could talk directly to the Almond+ when the phone is connected to the Almond+ WiFi network.
The reason is that your cloud solution adds a slight delay.
Current simplified event chain:
push button on app -> send data trough internet to your server -> server ack and -> signal sent back over the internet to almond+ router -> Signal is sent to sensors over Z-wave or Zigbee.

This is unnecessarily brittle, if the app talked directly to the router when it is in range, then only the state information would need to be sent over the network. If the network connection between your servers and my Almond+ was down, the app would still work.

An alternative solution would be to add a phone-compatible UI to the web interface of the Almond+ router.
Almond+ with 2 dimmer switches, 2 binary on/off switches, 1 Qubino Flush dimmer, 1 Aeontec micro dimmer, 1 Fibaro Dimmer 2, 1 Lightify RGBW bulb, 2 Lightify Flex RGBW Led strip, 1 WeMo Bulb, 1 Fibaro magnetic door sensor, Vision PIR & temperature sensor.

Offline dbuttke

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I agree completely.
I very rarely will use the app outside the house so I think that connecting locally would be great to do.

Offline bwainscott

• Backer
While I would also LOVE for the app to connect directly to the A+, I don't see that happening any time soon (if ever).  The way the app talks to the servers and the servers talk to the A+ are likely quite different, and the developers really have so much else to work on.  I'd much rather they spend their time getting my dimmer switch to work, adding automation, fixing the thermostat interface, getting door locks to work reliably and report correctly, adding support for the Linear garage door opener, improving the SDK, etc, etc.

On the other hand, a good phone based interface to the local web UI would be GREAT, and likely not nearly as hard as getting the app to talk to the A+.  Hopefully they will work on that at some point, but I'd rather have all the above stuff working first (I can live with using the local web UI on my phone for now).

Offline Kazy

• Backer
My internet went out once and suddenly my app became useless.

+1'ing this idea hardcore.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
Would be great to have for internet outage, and when the cloud service is down.

LGNilsson

It might happen in the future, but don't expect this to be something that'll happen for now as it would require some major work on our side that we simply don't have the resources to do right now.

Offline AlexK

• Backer
Offline Wi-Fi support would be really great.
Today I needed 4-5 attemps to connect to the cloud.
It's not on top of my wishlist, but I like to see this feature in the future (maybe when Almond+ is available for non-backers)

LGNilsson

That's surprising, although I have to say that I'm not using iOS, but we haven't had anyone else complain about this as far as I'm aware.

Offline tt4me

• Backer
With the cloud issues right now, this sure jumps towards the top of my list of must haves. 

Offline sfalc

• Backer
While I would also LOVE for the app to connect directly to the A+, I don't see that happening any time soon (if ever).  The way the app talks to the servers and the servers talk to the A+ are likely quite different, and the developers really have so much else to work on.  I'd much rather they spend their time getting my dimmer switch to work, adding automation, fixing the thermostat interface, getting door locks to work reliably and report correctly, adding support for the Linear garage door opener, improving the SDK, etc, etc.

On the other hand, a good phone based interface to the local web UI would be GREAT, and likely not nearly as hard as getting the app to talk to the A+.  Hopefully they will work on that at some point, but I'd rather have all the above stuff working first (I can live with using the local web UI on my phone for now).

I agree, a good mobile UI for the Almond+ web interface would be enough.
Almond+ with 2 dimmer switches, 2 binary on/off switches, 1 Qubino Flush dimmer, 1 Aeontec micro dimmer, 1 Fibaro Dimmer 2, 1 Lightify RGBW bulb, 2 Lightify Flex RGBW Led strip, 1 WeMo Bulb, 1 Fibaro magnetic door sensor, Vision PIR & temperature sensor.

Offline ThePoorShadow

• Backer
+1 in app to Almond direct connection without going through the net

Offline lgkahn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
How would you know you are on the home network?. In my case my a+ is wired in access pt mode and I have both wifi bands disabled. Ssid name is not an indicator of home network as I use the same ssid in multiple locations. Nor is the ip address as multiple can have the same subnet ie 192.168.x x. You'd gave to get the arp address of the default g/w or something.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:21:44 am by lgkahn »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
We already released the Beta app for Android, which would give local access to the sensors and doesn't need any internet connection. Hopefully, if everything goes well then next production release would have this feature...:)

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck