bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?  (Read 31681 times)

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Simple battery-powered on/off switch?
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:37:24 pm »
I have several rooms in my house with no light switches, just pull-chains from the ceiling-mounted fixtures. I want to put switches near the doors, so we don't have to fumble for the chain in a dark room. It's easy enough to put wirelessly-controlled light bulbs in the fixtures, the the problem remains of putting a switch on the wall, so we don't have to use apps to turn the lights on/off. I figure it should be easy to put a Z-wave or Zigbee on/off switch where I want it, and use the (forthcoming) automation features of the Almond to make that switch turn the lights on/off. But I can't find such a switch, all the switches I see assume they're going in place of a wired switch, and require the wiring for power (and directly control the load, rather than just reporting the button press to the controller for handling).
 Can any one point me to a simple, battery-powered wireless switch, that is reasonably priced? I thought I saw such a thing recently, just a single-button Z-wave or Zigbee controller, but I can't find it now.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
Re: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 10:05:15 pm »
You could use a keyfob to trigger it (once the automation is in place) or are you looking for one that looks like a more regular switch?
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:48 am »
yeah - looking for something that looks more like a regular switch. Mainly, this is so my toddler can turn the lights on herself, as she can't reach the pull-chain. Secondary benefit for the adults in the house to not have to cross the room in the dark.

The Lutron Pico remote would be perfect, but it's proprietary 434MHz, and I don't have a place to put the corresponding wall switch.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:52 pm »
I guess the other question is what do you mean by reasonably priced? I am continuously surprised by the high prices until I remind myself that this is all still "edge", although no longer "bleeding edge".

Here is one example I found:
GE 45631 @ $44 @ Amazon

I also found a few remotes... That look like old TV remotes that also do Z-Wave, if the look is second to price or it needs more than a key fob can do. Those are less than $30.
Are these kind of the direction you were looking, as far as looks and features (not price)?

Offline underscore

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:02:23 pm »
Can any one point me to a simple, battery-powered wireless switch, that is reasonably priced? I thought I saw such a thing recently, just a single-button Z-wave or Zigbee controller, but I can't find it now.

http://goo.gl/JbqFhG - Aspire RF RF9500 - Battery Operated Z-Wave Dimmer Switch (doesn't have to be a dimmer)

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:54 am »
http://goo.gl/JbqFhG - Aspire RF RF9500 - Battery Operated Z-Wave Dimmer Switch (doesn't have to be a dimmer)
Man, $100 list price, that's ridiculous.  At least it's available for half that here http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/rf9500aw-battery-operated-switch-dimmer-w-wallplate.html?gclid=CLySwZ6d-sECFeJj7Aodr38ARg

Offline Mishakim

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:51 am »
I guess the other question is what do you mean by reasonably priced? I am continuously surprised by the high prices until I remind myself that this is all still "edge", although no longer "bleeding edge".

Man, $100 list price, that's ridiculous.  At least it's available for half that here http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/rf9500aw-battery-operated-switch-dimmer-w-wallplate.html?gclid=CLySwZ6d-sECFeJj7Aodr38ARg

I'm in the same space, I understand that this is new tech, but am still finding the prices too high to stomach. For example, if GE can do a ZigBee lightbulb for $15, why do switches start at $50 and go significantly higher? The remote-control style controllers would fit my need as far as function, but I'm also aiming for simplicity, i.e., I only want this to do one thing, so I only want one (or two) buttons.

Really, what I want is this: Pico on/off switch but with ZigBee or Z-wave. Amazon has that for $17, and the dimmer version for $15, so even at double the price for a Z* radio, you're still only at $30 - 35.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »
I know. A lot of it does not make sense to me, with regards to the pricing. I will try to keep an eye out. If you find something in the long run, post it in the Where can I buy... section. I doubt you are the only one looking.

LGNilsson

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 12:24:22 am »
We just got this to test - http://manuals.zwaveeurope.com/make.php?lang=en&type=&sku=ZME_WALLC-S
Can't seem to find a US version and the EU version is €34 without the front panel/buttons...
Oh and it's not supported, yet...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:31:47 am by Lars »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »
Fillibar - do you know if that z wave scene controller works with the almond? I know scenes aren't up yet but I'm wondering if it connects and is recognized etc. Thanks!

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »
I do not know personally, but I would say no. I did a quick search and it was referenced in a thread previously... It turns out (per Lars) that Secondary controllers are not yet supported (as of R69) and this works as a Secondary controller, not just a button. I would assume this means it will work someday... but other things will happen first.

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:22 pm »
We'll be adding support for these. The "raw" code is done, but as scenes aren't done yet on a UI level, it doesn't make much sense adding support for the devices, as they wouldn't do anything. We have started work in the scenes UI though, but rules/timers will be the first thing that'll be done. Well, technically notifications will be first, but I'm not sure if most of you will call that automation  ;)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 01:31:15 pm »
Thanks fillibar and Lars!

Offline danski

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »
Is there any update for switches like this, I am very interested in doing the same thing. so far I've been unable to find anything cheap.

Thank you.

LGNilsson

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 11:59:33 pm »
Not yet, as we've been working on finishing the rules. Once that's done, the next thing should be scenes.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck