bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?  (Read 31664 times)

Offline dewhite04

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:58 pm »
I know I'm dragging up an old thread but it's pretty on-target with what I'm working on.  I also figured that anybody searching for keywords in this thread would appreciate knowing more about this:

I bought the Lutron "Connected Bulb Remote" today at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Connected-Bulb-Remote-LZL-4B-WH-L01/206196450), which appears to be a version of the Pico style remote, but with Zigbee support included in the device.  It has the same form factor as the other Picos, which would make this remote very convenient for installing into standard decora-style switch cover locations (with the available adapter, etc).

It was easily able to pair the remote with the A+, however my hub (which is on r80 currently) reports that the connected device has as status of "Unsupported Device!"

I'm hopeful that this device is on the radar of Securifi's development team, as it has a super handy form-factor and is of reasonable cost/availability (~$30 at time of this post).

Thanks for all of your hard work - I'll hang-up and listen!

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:05 am »
@ dewhite04,

It seems like we might not have added the support for it, please do send the log files by making sure the Almond+ is not rebooted. So that I could check with our team back and get back to with an update on this.

Offline TheLostSwede

• Chestnut
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 07:01:14 pm »
You might want to look at the new Philips ZigBee remote, but I don't think that works directly with the Almond+, but it can talk directly to up to 10 ZigBee LL bulbs.

Offline bebopblues

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 03:29:52 am »
It was easily able to pair the remote with the A+, however my hub (which is on r80 currently) reports that the connected device has as status of "Unsupported Device!"
How were you able to pair it to the A+? What button(s) did you use to make it pair-able?

Any progress on getting this remote to work correctly with the A+?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:33:47 am by bebopblues »

Offline dancook

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 07:32:14 pm »
I have an issue similar to the original poster. In my master bedroom we have a switch at the door and a switch at the other side of the room which appear to do nothing. No outlets are enabled by toggling the switches and it's annoying to have these for no apparent reason. Meanwhile we have two bedside lamps which have to be turned on manually.

What I want is to replace these traditional light switches with Z-Wave switches. I have not confirmed that the wiring is 'hot', but let's assume that it is (in other words there are positive and neutral wires, not a ground though because the house is circa 1928).

Can I install something like the Leviton DZS15-1LZ, and along with two Peanut plugs and my Almond+ cause these lamps to toggle on/off? I have tested the Peanuts + Almond solution using a GE binary on/off plug-in switch, but I don't like that as a permanent solution because (a) the outlets are down at the floor level not near the doorway, and (b) I want to use a wall switch not a plug-in switch.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »
@ dancook,

Yes, you can use any any one of the Wall-In switch, listed under the following Wiki list.

https://wiki.securifi.com/index.php/List_of_compatible_sensors_-_Almond%2B_2014

Offline dancook

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 11:59:14 pm »
Thanks for verifying. And in this case the domestic 60Hz/110V AC power which the switch is wired into has no purpose other than to provide the Z-Wave device with its send/receive punch? Would I install two identical such switches (the room has two switches currently) and either switch would toggle the lamps from their current state to the opposite state?

Offline dancook

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 12:20:19 am »
To be clear, in this scenario there is no manual / traditional switch functionality where the load's circuit is completed or not.

I don't know what (if anything) the switches are hardwired to, thus I only care about the device's ability to send Z-wave commands to my Almond+, after which the A+ will send 'Toggle State' commands to the relevant Peanut plugs.

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2016, 09:02:54 am »
@ dancook,

First thing, you have to ensure that the wiring at that location where you would like to place the switches should be working fine. It seems like, we have no switch at present available with out the ground wiring. May be the best solution would be use to Zigbee Sercomm binary switch.

Offline dancook

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2016, 03:33:02 pm »
I already am able to control the lamps with a GE binary on/off plug-in switch (model #45603), so a Zigbee Sercom binary switch doesn't seem to provide any additional benefit (I assume you mean this one: http://www.sercomm.com/contpage.aspx?langid=1&type=prod3&L1id=2&L2id=3&L3id=8&Prodid=102).

So I guess the question: is there a Z-wave binary switch which can work using only line (hot) and neutral? I need just enough power to send and receive Z-commands and would gladly use a battery-powered Decora-style switch if one existed!

Offline dancook

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »
Wait, maybe that ASPIRE RF battery-operated switch will work. I understood it to be a dimmer whereas I want binary only, but it looks like it can function as either (or both).

Offline dancook

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 04:01:23 pm »
Assuming it meets the need, does anybody know whether the Aspire / Cooper Wiring Devices RF9500 can be paired properly with the Almond+?

Offline dancook

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 05:49:59 pm »
I decided to take a gamble on the Aspire / Cooper Wiring Devices RF9500 sensor. The switch is recognized by the Almond+. Once added / learned-in, I can see the switch's value change from 0 to 255 and back again when I toggle the switch. However I can't integrate the sensor into any Rules because the Almond+ classifies the sensor as 'Unsupported'. This is unfortunate since it would be trivial to create a rule based on whether the detected value is 0 or 255.

It appears I will need to wait for the A+ firmware to get updated so that this particular Z-wave sensor is officially supported.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:42 am »
@dancook
Thanks for sharing the information. Hopefully Securifi can support it, or at least a generalized object that allows it to work. Have you contacted Ashok or someone else directly? They watch the forum closely, but better to let them know.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline grouter

• Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 06:29:01 am »
In my master bedroom we have a switch at the door and a switch at the other side of the room which appear to do nothing. No outlets are enabled by toggling the switches and it's annoying to have these for no apparent reason.

Have you checked both the top and bottom plugs in each outlet? We have a room with a switch that controls a single top plug, but not the bottom one in the same outlet. It was somewhat tough to figure that one out...

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck