Choose style:

Author Topic: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?  (Read 31669 times)

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Simple battery-powered on/off switch?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 09:55:30 am »
@grouter:
Ha! They did that at every outlet controlled switch in our house... They also had the power run to the outlet (or light in those cases) then run to the switch... That has caused no end of problems when I am trying to correct or change out things.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

Offline dancook

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 01:13:24 pm »
@grouter, the house is pretty old and so the outlets in the bedroom are single-receptacle, ungrounded. Testing what the mystery switches do is as simple as plugging an illuminated lamp (i.e. one where the bulb is switched on) into each outlet and seeing whether the switch causes it to toggle.

Even though I have antiquated wiring I do have Peanut plugs in the living room doing their job well (in tandem with an Almond+), but in that case the lamps turn on/off on a timer, whereas I want "on-demand" in the bedroom. That's why I'm looking for a wall switch that works with my A+.

Note: In case you were wondering how I'm using Peanut plugs in an ungrounded system, the relevant living room outlets have been upgraded to GFCI-type outlets, clearly marked as "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND", which is an exception allowed by National Electrical Code to replace two wire ungrounded outlets.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 01:54:59 pm »
@dancook:
That would likely drive me crazy... Without the grounds I mean. I would probably be going to the expense (and time) of reworking them all. Heck, I am planning some work now just to make our current circuits make a bit more sense and eliminate aluminum wiring I have found.

Offline DawnBede

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 08:44:31 am »
I understand that this is new tech, but am still finding the prices too high to stomach. For example, if GE can do a ZigBee lightbulb for $15, why do switches start at $50 and go significantly higher? The remote-control style controllers would fit my need as far as function, but I'm also aiming for simplicity, i.e., I only want this to do one thing, so I only want one (or two) buttons.

pcb assembly prototype
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:09:58 pm by DawnBede »

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:06 pm »
It is a bit crazy, especially if you look between different devices. One major problem is the limited audience. Light bulbs are a lot easy for your average homeowner to deal than changing out switches and such. There are also very different regulations (in the US at least).

If you are looking for a simple, one button effect, you might be able to get by using a network device as a presence sensor. Obviously there are problems with it being a presence sensor but depending on your usage that method might work. Something as cheap/simple as using an Amazon Dash Button (without associating it with a product to purchase).

Offline dancook

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 12:54:04 pm »
@dancook:
That would likely drive me crazy... Without the grounds I mean. I would probably be going to the expense (and time) of reworking them all. Heck, I am planning some work now just to make our current circuits make a bit more sense and eliminate aluminum wiring I have found.

@fillibar The house is 3 finished floors including basement (no openings to main floor), lath & plaster, odd horizontal framing blocking chases down from the attic, hardwood floors, crown-molded ceilings, brick exterior. They don't make 'em like they used to, for better and for worse!

As you can imagine the time & expense of reworking the ungrounded wiring is prohibitively high. Well, at least for me it is. Maybe a future owner will be willing to pay the tens of thousands of dollars required to cut out sections of floor/wall/ceiling all over the house and chase wires around.

Hopefully this adequately illustrates my desire to find a wireless Z-wave wall switch which requires only battery power and doesn't need to switch any loads. Well, actually I did find one but it doesn't pair with the A+ yet.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »
@dancook: Sounds awesome... and a nightmare. I love the old, solid houses (and touring the mansions of yesterday) but I always think about how I would want modern stuff blended/hidden in. Totally understand the cost aspect. Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:18:46 pm by fillibar »

Offline dancook

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 12:58:08 pm »
Interestingly, pretty much the exact switch I have in mind exists but it's made by Insteon which is unfortunately a closed ecosystem (as far as I understand):

http://www.insteon.com/wireless-switch

"This small decorator-style wireless remote allows you to instantly create a switch anywhere in your home without running wires. Simply link it to an Insteon compatible lamp controller or wall switch."

Offline canman007

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:06 pm »
I tried the Lutron LZL-4B-WH-L01 and while it connects to my Almond 2015, it is unsupported and doesn't have any functionality.
I can probably provide logs, etc. if it will help.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 05:21:34 pm »
I have a switch but I dont think its fully supported.. Its rechargable via USB.... Aeon Labs Minimote for Zwave.... was on sale on Newegg for awhile...
Albeit it requires Zwave device support.. and i dont think the Almond 3 supports it yet... (yes it pairs with the Zwave fob but thats it)

Cute remote...

Offline soawesomejohn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 07:10:09 pm »
I'm just getting into this myself, but in a similar position. We have a bedroom where the light switch is at the far end of the room. You have to walk through the entire room to get to it. Our local hardware store sells a proprietary wireless switch - one wired, and one you mount remotely, powered by 9v battery. But these have worn out on us.

The Aeon Labs DSA03202 v1 - Z-Wave Minimote seesm like it would be pretty good. They run around $20 on amazon and can be mounted with velcro.  These have 4 buttons, but you only need to program the one.  http://a.co/7hekclL

Offline Kazy

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 08:20:00 pm »
Those remotes can't be paired with the Almond+ :(

I use a Philips Hue (Gen 1) that I got for $10, plus their $35 switch kit.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:56 am »
The problem is hue switches are propriatary.... Id be thinking of asking support on here what they recommend....
There has to be some updates and voodoo for the Click switch to be supported, there may be other devices at that time Im thinking

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 08:29:58 am »
I'm just getting into this myself, but in a similar position. We have a bedroom where the light switch is at the far end of the room. You have to walk through the entire room to get to it. Our local hardware store sells a proprietary wireless switch - one wired, and one you mount remotely, powered by 9v battery. But these have worn out on us.

The Aeon Labs DSA03202 v1 - Z-Wave Minimote seesm like it would be pretty good. They run around $20 on amazon and can be mounted with velcro.  These have 4 buttons, but you only need to program the one.  http://a.co/7hekclL

Securifi Click should work for this function. It is coming out soon, apparently, and just working through some logistical (shipping) issues to get them here (US). It has three actions, single press, double press and press and hold. Which you could set up to do 6 different things with rules i.e. If light on and I push once, then turn light off; if light off and I push once turn light on. Same for double and press and hold. It seems to be a decent size for putting up as a "switch" creating a virtual 3 way switch essentially. I plan to use velcro to attach some of mine to spots but they can still be moved around as needed. I imagine double sided 3M tape would work well too. I may try to cut out a space in a blank wall plate to make them more switch like in appearance as well.

Offline joltdude

• Backer
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2017, 07:48:14 pm »
Securifi Click should work for this function. It is coming out soon, apparently, and just working through some logistical (shipping) issues to get them here (US). It has three actions, single press, double press and press and hold. Which you could set up to do 6 different things with rules i.e. If light on and I push once, then turn light off; if light off and I push once turn light on. Same for double and press and hold. It seems to be a decent size for putting up as a "switch" creating a virtual 3 way switch essentially. I plan to use velcro to attach some of mine to spots but they can still be moved around as needed. I imagine double sided 3M tape would work well too. I may try to cut out a space in a blank wall plate to make them more switch like in appearance as well.
Using just double sided tape or the 3m Dual Lock (velcro-esque) =)

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.