bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: R069 Firmware disappointment  (Read 12792 times)

Offline KT

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
R069 Firmware disappointment
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:26:32 am »
I want to know why there is two separate posts for Firmware releases. You are doubling the work of yourself and end users having to check multiple posts to see if the firmware is even compatible.

Features pulled from this thread.
http://forum.securifi.com/index.php/topic,2233.0.html
Features
5GHz Wi-Fi disconnects on some devices
Wi-Fi performance is still not optimized
AP mode has been disabled in this release.
SAMBA doesn't work properly with OS X and Linux

I currently use the almond+ in AP mode and almost updated without reading the other post. Anyone with AP mode is forced to wait... how long?
How can the new Wi-Fi drivers not be applied to these new releases?
End users have been complaining and struggling since they have started using the device. Why would you be adding new devices like the Philips Hue bulb when there are major problems or features that should have been ready like the full z-wave library or home automation?

I would strongly recommend that you publish a Feature/Bug-Fix road map with dates.
Fix major problems 1 have it tested and published before adding new code/devices/modifications.

LGNilsson

Re: R069 Firmware disappointment
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:06:25 am »
This is the last firmware, or at least, I'm expecting to be, based on the old drivers.
It's taken longer for us to integrate the new drivers than we expected based on a wide range of issues, most of them outside of our control, since we don't actually write the drivers.
I can only apologise for the continued delays here.

Please don't expect support for every single Z-Wave device out there, it's not going to happen. We're going to do our best to offer broad support, but there's going to be a limit.

As for the Hue, it was finished of by one of our new guys who's learning how to get to grips with the platform, so why not let him do something like this, rather than do nothing? We've actually had quite a lot of interest in Hue support, so even if you don't use it, plenty of our other backers have asked for it.

The two threads are two different things, but yes, I should've added the missing access point feature in the known issues list, is was my bad and I've added it now.

Offline mmalluck

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:35:11 pm »
Please don't expect support for every single Z-Wave device out there, it's not going to happen. We're going to do our best to offer broad support, but there's going to be a limit.

Yeah, I can't see Securifi supporting the addition of devices forever. This stuff keeps changing.
Far off in the future, after this product gets built out, do you think there's a chance the source for some of these modules might be made available for the community to support?

The open source community has had a lot of success supporting routers in the past.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:50 pm »
What we need to do is to create something similar to Vera's UI for this so people can add support for sensors where we already have a UI in place.
We're also considering a more generic UI for "unsupported" device, but this is going to take some time.
The biggest challenge with this is that we have to create a UI for the LCD, the mobile apps, the cloud and the local web interface.
All of this takes time to do, but it's something we want to do long term, but as it requires some quite fundamental changes, it's not going to happen over night.

Offline superbilou

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:22:20 am »
I use the AP mode also and of course i can't use this firmware.

If you remove a feature when you add another feature , the final release will be a very long time.

For me, the "AP mode" work fine and i don't understand why you remove a feature (i know temporarily) which works when you add another feature ...

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:14:43 am »
It's still possible to enable it via the web UI if need be, but as it was causing problems for some users, we decided to remove it for the time being.

Offline avenger

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 03:07:35 am »
It's still possible to enable it via the web UI if need be, but as it was causing problems for some users, we decided to remove it for the time being.

So if I'm using AP mode at the moment and it works, I can upgrade without any problem?

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 03:08:35 am »
Yes, the AP mode won't be turned off if it's already in AP mode when you flash.

Offline fr0gpil0t

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 11:35:10 am »

Has anyone confirmed that installing R069 with AP already enabled keeps AP enabled. I'm struggling with the corruption issue - every Mac upgrade fails when connected to the AP (I assume as data is being corrupted).

Robert

Offline Roger

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »
I am lost here. I am using Almond+ as an AP.

Can I or can't I upgrade to this version ?

Another subject. I already posted about the creation of dummy directories when using Sambda in Windows. Is this corrected in this version ? I want to connect my disks to teh router instead of to a PC in the network.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:11:05 pm by Roger »

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »
As it says in the release notes that AP mode was temporarily disabled/removed/whatever in R069 release, which means, you can't use R069 if you use AP mode (like I do), and have to wait till the next release.

Offline Roger

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 06:12:38 pm »
But Lars says: "Yes, the AP mode won't be turned off if it's already in AP mode when you flash" so it should work, right ?

Better not take any chance.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:32:59 am by Roger »

Offline fr0gpil0t

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »
 :) - want someone else to try this first before me !!!

Offline Shark69

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 12:11:11 am »
I'm no expert so details are vague but I use AP mode so I can access my printer. I upgraded and everything still works!
Scott

LGNilsson

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:44 am »
You can still turn it on/off in the web UI, but due to some people seeing garbled packets, we decided to remove it for now from the LCD UI, but it'll be added back, no worries, we just need to address the issue first and we have a fix. The issue is that it's quite complex and time consuming to fix this issue, so we're going to release it alongside the new Wi-Fi drivers, as the two are sort of connected.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 18 queries.

bottleneck