bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Beaming not working???  (Read 5452 times)

Offline buffoonz

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Beaming not working???
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:52:21 am »
I'm having a terrible time getting my kwikset (910) locks to work consistently.  Currently I have 3 locks installed.  One lock is about 15 ft from the Almond+ and works every time.  The other two are installed about 60-70 ft away and never respond.  I figured that they might be too far away as it is going through several walls.  so I installed a couple GE/Jasco light switches (45609) between the Almond+ and the locks.  These switches work great and one of the switches is literally 2 feet from one of the kwikset locks that isn't responding.  However the locks are still not responding. 

The only thing that I can think of is that the z-wave controller in the Almond+ isn't using the intermediate switches when it attempts to communicate with the locks.  Is there anyway to troubleshoot this?  Is there anyway to manually set the path for communication from the Almond+ to the locks?

• I've paired and unpaired the devices several times
  • The 45609 switches support beaming (even the /almond/zwcfg_home.xml file says it's supported)
  • I've moved the locks closer and they respond when within 20 ft of the Almond+

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Beaming not working???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 10:07:09 am »
I've noticed similar issues with my kwikset lock / deadbolt and I may be wrong but I don't know if the mesh networking (you are calling it beaming) works with non-secured devices. I read somewhere that the security used for the locks means it doesn't broadcast as well because it doesn't utilize the mesh. Could be totally wrong. I also know that mine takes ~15 seconds to respond when it does work and that it does not accurately report the state if I unlock / lock it manually either with the key pad or from the interior. I use my mostly as a manual keypad for this reason.

Offline buffoonz

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »
Obviously I'm no expert, but from the research that I've done, beaming is another protocol on top of the mesh network.  Beaming allows a z-wave device to pass on encrypted packets through the mesh network.  If there isn't a continuous path of beaming capable devices between the z-wave controller and the lock, it will not work.  I know others have gotten these locks to work with other controllers, notably the Vera.

The one lock that does work does take about 1 second to actuate and another 8 seconds to report back.

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:41:00 pm »
Interesting, I hadn't read that much into it. I have nothing new to suggest but am definitely interested in hearing about any resolutions. If I come across anything I'll post it here.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.