Choose style:

Author Topic: Guest Network?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline aviatordave

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Guest Network?
« on: December 08, 2014, 02:34:41 am »
My primary router is set up to have both a secured network and an unsecured guest network.  If configured as a wireless access point, will the Almond broadcast both main and guest networks from my primary router?

-Dave

Offline Talard

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Guest Network?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 10:14:45 am »
For me access point can't be connected to more than one Wifi. For that reason you can extend your primery network or the guest one.

Offline aviatordave

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 04:25:09 pm »
Just to make sure we're talking about the same method of access, (cause I was a little confused the first time I started looking at the difference) a wireless access point is different than a range extender. As a range extender the almond should just detect a wireless signal and then repeat it if set up to do so. It will definitely not extend more than one network at a time.  A wireless access point is a hard wire connection to a router via Ethernet cable where the access point then provides a wireless point of access to the router it's hardwired to.  In most cases, if the router being used as the wireless access point is capable of putting up both a secured and guest network at the same time when just used as a regular router (which I believe the Almond is) then frequently when used as a wireless access point it will provide access to the primary router's secured and guest network as well.  My guess is that the Almond will do this as well but I couldn't confirm it in any of the material I've researched on it so far.  I'm hoping somebody in the forums has done this or that a staff member will just confirm my suspicion.

Amritendu

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »
You are correct and your understanding regarding Range Extender and Access Point is spot on. So you may very well have the guest network enabled when the Almond is used as an Access Point, but not when used as a Wireless Extender/repeater.

Offline aviatordave

• Acorn
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
Ah ha!  So it will extend both secured and guest network when configured as a wireless access point.  (assuming, of course, that it's compatible with my main router and all that jazz, which I'll only know when trying to set it up.)

Thank you, Amritendu!

I do have one other question . . . can the Almond be set up without an internet connection?  The setup wizard for a lot of routers will not allow you to continue until an internet connection is detected.  (I want to be able to use the Almond when traveling with my family to set up an IP baby cam that I can view on my iPhone when no internet connection is available.  The set up display on the almond makes this concept ideal if it will work.  Then I don't have to travel with a computer to plug the almond into)

Offline aviatordave

• Acorn
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »
Amritendu, please disregard that last question.  You answered it on another post.  (I should have check that before repeating the question)
Thank you!

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.