Choose style:

Author Topic: Door Sensor  (Read 6774 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Door Sensor
« on: January 28, 2015, 03:52:27 am »
Hey Guys, wondering what kind of prices you are finding for compatible window / door sensors. US Z wave freq or compatible zigbee. Quirkey's trippers are just $20 a piece, which isn't bad, but I was wondering if anyone found any for less. Thanks!

LGNilsson

Re: Door Sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 05:15:15 am »
Haven't seen anything cheaper to date.

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:39 am »
The Quirkey is the cheapest I've seen to, besides a discount on some place getting rid of stock.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 08:31:23 am »
What I would love is for one of these SoC producers (Marvell or Amelia for example) to release or work with someone to release a simple sensor board. 2 varieties would work well:
1) Allows an on/off (switch or Reed sensor) input.
2) Allows a resistive input, like a temperature sensor.

These would allow easy DIY access to adding such things. Considering the prices of some of the SoC available it could probably be made and sold for $10 while still providing margin.

An alternative would be some Fibaro stuff. For example their RGBW controller has 4 0-10v inputs on it. Put it somewhere central and run 4 sensors to it. At about $50 it would actually be pretty reasonable just as a sensor base let along the lighting it can control.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:47 am »
Amelia..?

It wouldn't be hard to do a board like that, the issue is that the ZigBee stacks aren't open source and no-one seems keen on even doing a free "dev" version. The nearest you'll get at the moment is TI, but you'll need their programmer to make any changes.

Offline fillibar

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
Ha! Autocorrect... That would be Atmel, with their atmega256rfr2 chip for example. It seems like the perfect on for somebody like me (who also messes with Arduino) but the process to use the Arduino IDE with it... and then make a compatible sensor platform with it seems beyond me. There is the Pinoccio product out there but it seems too expensive to base a bunch of sensors on.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:50:08 am »
If you're eyeing Atmel, at least look at their Cortex M0+ chips - http://www.atmel.com/products/wireless/802154/single-chip_solutions.aspx
Apparently we evaluated their older products and they're not very good according to our software team.

We might be able to do something in the future, we're talking to another chipset vendor, but heir ZigBee HA stack isn't done yet, so we'll have to wait and see. They're at least considering to open their stack up to developers like you guys and they have a very affordable solution for programming the chips...  ;)

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.

bottleneck