bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Why so long between updates?  (Read 14664 times)

Offline divpar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Why so long between updates?
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:54:22 am »
Why is it that it is taking so many weeks to come up with new updates. The rate at which the updates are coming out seems like it might be 2016 before all the features can be implemented. Simply frustrating.
I think more resources need to put in what is not working on the current model then to come up with new model to generate more sales.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:56:50 am by divpar »

LGNilsson

Re: Why so long between updates?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:15 am »
Apologies about the delays, we've just released the new beta firmware to our beta/dev backers.
The good news is that it includes the automation parts, somewhat earlier than we planned, so they can start testing that and give us feedback on it.

These things aren't as simple to do as it may look, but we should hopefully be releasing this as a beta for everyone to test shortly, we just want to make sure there are no major bugs.

Offline brantflick

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:26:00 pm »
I believe I recall a post somewhere talking about getting your internal bug tracker publicized for backers (or maybe just beta testers?) access, so we can submit bugs or comment on their reproduction or fixes.  There seem to be quite a few users who are handy with hacking around in the OS on the Almond+ and since it's all built on OpenWRT perhaps we as a community can assist with some of the implementation of fixes?  Either way it'd be nice to see what actual bugs you have found, what severity they are, and whether we as users would be impacted by them.  Any chance of this happening?

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 11:46:34 pm »
I highly doubt we'd share our internal bug tracker and on top of that, these bugs are not related to OpenWRT, but rather to the proprietary Wi-Fi driver and the Wi-Fi offload code for the SoC. There's sadly nothing the community could help with when it comes to those parts and they're not covered under the GPL.

We might do a bug tracker for you guys at some point though, but it didn't seem to be a popular suggestion with the software team, since they feel like they'd have to manage it for it to work and that would require a dedicated person, which as of right now, we simply don't have.
It also means we'd have repeat entries for the same bug from multiple people, which we even get internally sometimes, but that would most likely be exponentially more common if we had a public bug tracker.

Please understand that we're still a small company, which might be easy to forget. I really wish we could implement this right now, but it's simply not feasible if we're going to make a good job out of it.

Offline KT

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:25:34 am »
Any updates on release of new firmware?

LGNilsson

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:07 pm »
We're working on fixing a few things, but it should be just around the corner.

Offline meberlein

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »
Before the new year?

LGNilsson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:29:31 pm »
Next week is what I'm pushing for.

Offline jweston

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 02:56:44 am »

God i hope so, got sensors that really i want to use and want to use it as my router but it's hopeless. Hope i don't get my stack box before then!

Offline mr23

• Backer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:58 am »

How is the automation beta test going? What is the current release date of FW supporting that?
Are any new devices being added as a result of the HA inclusion and beta testing? Is the web resource of supported devices updated then?
Hoping to pick out a few before the New Year

Thanks,
-Chris

LGNilsson

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 10:43:29 pm »
The testing is going well, everything is pretty stable and we expect to release it in the next firmware, but it'll carry a beta tag, as it's still changing a lot.
I'm afraid I don't have a date, but as I mentioned above, I'm pushing for a release this week.
The automation itself might actually have slightly reduced support for sensors, as we have to add them one by one and make sure they work well. So far what we've tested and what works are binary switches, door/window sensors, flood sensors, PIR sensors, thermostats and locks, but the key fob should hopefully be done in time for the release alongside with some more things.
We have added support for in-wall dimmers and some new ZigBee devices and I'll get the Wiki updated once I know it's all there in the release firmware.

Offline Quikster

• Backer
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »
Will this update be able to be done from the device, or will it be like 69 and require a manual update?

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »
Will this update be able to be done from the device, or will it be like 69 and require a manual update?
From what I've read 69 to 70 will be a like others, but from 70 on should be by LCD.

LGNilsson

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 09:11:51 pm »
You'll be able to update to the next firmware via the LCD.

It looks like it won't be this week, as our software team has a few days off for Christmas, but it should be next week if all goes well.

Offline rysmithjr

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 02:42:01 am »
When will we have Access Point functionality back?

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck