bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Port forward rules fully broken.  (Read 6099 times)

Offline thebaldgeek

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Port forward rules fully broken.
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:15:50 am »
This is more just a 'me too' than a cry for help (or frustration).

Just spend around 5 hours reading through a lot of these posts and as much Google foo pages as I could muster and can not get any port forward rules to work. I see I am not alone with this issue.

I'm on Verizon Fios.
Got the router up and running after the usual phone call to their tech center to release and restart their modem from their end.
Got good speeds (the Almond+ was/is going to replace my old Linksys running Tomato), so that was nice.

Using afraid.org as my DDNS, got that set up in the router pretty quick.
My domain name resolves just fine as I get the router GUI showing up when I hit my host name.

Running a web server at my home.
This is the first issue. The A+ router GUI is very much locked into using port 80 on both LAN and WAN.
Its just about impossible to get it off. Even using SSH and editing files did not get it out of the system after many reboots.

Tried setting up 3-4 of my other main port forward rules (I have about 20 all up that MUST be working before I could call it a night), but could not get a single one of them working.
I have done a lot of networking hacking as part of my day job, used a lot of different firewall appliances and Linux distros to get the job done, so I am no noob..... hence the perseverance for some 5ish hours with the Almond+ (its not just because I spent what is personally a lot of money for me on it - I am genuinely interested in getting things going - all the more so when its bleeding edge tech).
I see that some have got them working. Beats me how or why their set up is so different from my out of the box bog standard configuration.
A TCP port on the WAN to a TCP port (the same number) on the LAN.
Tried static and dynamic IP address and host names for the LAN device. No dice either way.
Even tried setting up one of the PC's as a DMZ. Nothing there either.......

In the end, I have to know when I am beat. 5 hours for a single port forward rule is pretty out there......
A router it is not (yet).
I will put it back on the shelf where its been for the past many months and wait for another firmware update.
Hopefully one that will allow port 80, 443 and 8443 forwards to work.

Grateful for the chance to try something new.
I think it has promise, hope you guys can deliver the product you said you could/would.
We will continue to watch (and wait).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:19:49 am by thebaldgeek »

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Port forward rules fully broken.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 02:14:32 am »
Related...  Cannot bridge all ethernet ports in wireless access mode, and cannot turn of DHCP on the LAN side.
Wondering if I can just load a stock OpenWRT onto this.
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:02:09 am »
Related...  Cannot bridge all ethernet ports in wireless access mode, and cannot turn of DHCP on the LAN side.
Wondering if I can just load a stock OpenWRT onto this.

No, you can not, as that'd break all the automation, it'd break the LCD UI and it'd break the Wi-Fi and Ethernet, so that'd be a really, really bad idea.

LGNilsson

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:03:20 am »
This is more just a 'me too' than a cry for help (or frustration).

Just spend around 5 hours reading through a lot of these posts and as much Google foo pages as I could muster and can not get any port forward rules to work. I see I am not alone with this issue.

I'm on Verizon Fios.
Got the router up and running after the usual phone call to their tech center to release and restart their modem from their end.
Got good speeds (the Almond+ was/is going to replace my old Linksys running Tomato), so that was nice.

Using afraid.org as my DDNS, got that set up in the router pretty quick.
My domain name resolves just fine as I get the router GUI showing up when I hit my host name.

Running a web server at my home.
This is the first issue. The A+ router GUI is very much locked into using port 80 on both LAN and WAN.
Its just about impossible to get it off. Even using SSH and editing files did not get it out of the system after many reboots.

Tried setting up 3-4 of my other main port forward rules (I have about 20 all up that MUST be working before I could call it a night), but could not get a single one of them working.
I have done a lot of networking hacking as part of my day job, used a lot of different firewall appliances and Linux distros to get the job done, so I am no noob..... hence the perseverance for some 5ish hours with the Almond+ (its not just because I spent what is personally a lot of money for me on it - I am genuinely interested in getting things going - all the more so when its bleeding edge tech).
I see that some have got them working. Beats me how or why their set up is so different from my out of the box bog standard configuration.
A TCP port on the WAN to a TCP port (the same number) on the LAN.
Tried static and dynamic IP address and host names for the LAN device. No dice either way.
Even tried setting up one of the PC's as a DMZ. Nothing there either.......

In the end, I have to know when I am beat. 5 hours for a single port forward rule is pretty out there......
A router it is not (yet).
I will put it back on the shelf where its been for the past many months and wait for another firmware update.
Hopefully one that will allow port 80, 443 and 8443 forwards to work.

Grateful for the chance to try something new.
I think it has promise, hope you guys can deliver the product you said you could/would.
We will continue to watch (and wait).

There are some issues in R069 with port forwards, it has been fixed for the next firmware release, so please hang on for that.
I'm really sorry about all the time you've wasted, that really shouldn't be the case for something that's a fairly normal thing like this  :-[

Offline thebaldgeek

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 11:33:10 am »
Thanks Lars for the honest reply.
Have appreciated how you guys have been upfront with the issues.
Grateful that you guys are sticking with it.

Looking forward to the next update in the new year.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:37:46 am by thebaldgeek »

Offline quintilio

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 08:31:42 am »
Please fix the port forwarding issue.
Works better my old cheap router  :(
Quintilio

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:45 am »
It's been fixed in the next firmware release. It's just taken a bit longer to get that out than I anticipated with holidays etc.

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »
It's been fixed in the next firmware release. It's just taken a bit longer to get that out than I anticipated with holidays etc.

Speaking of,
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  Hope you're having a good time with loved ones, especially Wednesday night.
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

Offline jim

• Backer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:00:16 am »
Are IPTABLES rules going to be fixed in the next firmware release?  Those have been broken since day 1. 

Offline razzfazz

• Chestnut
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 08:36:16 pm »
No, you can not, as that'd break all the automation, it'd break the LCD UI and it'd break the Wi-Fi and Ethernet, so that'd be a really, really bad idea.

Can you please clarify which of his two points you're referring to here (bridging ethernet ports vs. turning off DHCP)? When running in access point mode, I would certainly hope that it's possible not to have the A+ hand out DHCP leases!?

LGNilsson

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:50 pm »
It was in reply to moving to a regular build of OpenWRT.
And no, the Almond+ does not hand out IP addresses in AP mode, as it'd be a router then. Your main router should be taking care of that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 09:54:40 pm by Lars »

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 18 queries.