bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Connection lost  (Read 10363 times)

Offline Naomi

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Connection lost
« on: December 25, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
I brought this router because I am so stupid when  it comes to tech stuff, and it was advertised as very easy to use, but I still can't get it to work....I already have a router that is connected up to the internet with talktalk, I wanted to use this router to extend the signal to my bedroom, yet every time I try and set it up I keep getting the message 'connection lost. Could not find AOLBB-898F94'. I have tried plugging it in right by the main router, but it can never seem to pick up the signal

I have since watched a YouTube video on setting it up, confirming that I am going through wizard and doing exactly the same, but that is the message that I keep getting at the end, while the YouTube video guy is getting his new password  :( I even checked updates and it's saying that everything is up to date, so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?

ETA It shows up on my iPad and smart phone under AOLBB-808F94_almond' (along with the regular wi-fi connection which I am currently using) , and it says that the signal strength is excellent, but it's either asking for a password or it's saying that it's not in range. And the router never gives me a password when I try and set it up, just says the connection is lost
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:45:57 pm by Naomi »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Connection lost
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 11:42:45 pm »
I brought this router because I am so stupid when  it comes to tech stuff, and it was advertised as very easy to use, but I still can't get it to work....I already have a router that is connected up to the internet with talktalk, I wanted to use this router to extend the signal to my bedroom, yet every time I try and set it up I keep getting the message 'connection lost. Could not find AOLBB-898F94'. I have tried plugging it in right by the main router, but it can never seem to pick up the signal

I have since watched a YouTube video on setting it up, confirming that I am going through wizard and doing exactly the same, but that is the message that I keep getting at the end, while the YouTube video guy is getting his new password  :( I even checked updates and it's saying that everything is up to date, so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?

ETA It shows up on my iPad and smart phone under AOLBB-808F94_almond' (along with the regular wi-fi connection which I am currently using) , and it says that the signal strength is excellent, but it's either asking for a password or it's saying that it's not in range. And the router never gives me a password when I try and set it up, just says the connection is lost

Naomi: 

Please try to follow the instructions I provided in message thread: Cannot Connect to Range Extender.  I provide complete connection instructions complete with screenshots.  Hopefully that thread will help you get setup. 

Perhaps it would make it easier to help you if you told us more about the distances involved.  You clearly state that you want to extend coverage into a bedroom..  Is is possible to "wire" the Almond to your main router?   If it is,  then connecting the gray port on the Almond directly to one of the LAN ports on the main router would make "Access Point" mode on the Almond a desirable choice.  If on the other hand "wiring" the two together is not practical then configuring the Almond in "Ranger Extender" mode is probably a better choice,  but this requires a strong Wi-Fi connection to the Main Router.   

"Access Point" mode will always provide better performance than "Range Extender" mode,  but your Almond supports both modes of operation depending on your needs.  How difficult would it be to connect the Router to the Almond using CAT5e or CAT6 network cable?

Is is possible that the Almond and the main Router are simply too far apart to provide a reliable Wi-Fi connection between the two? 

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:39:29 pm by Patrick Wilson »
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 16 queries.

bottleneck