bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Less than expected WiFi speed with 802.11 AC  (Read 31822 times)

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Less than expected WiFi speed with 802.11 AC
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 04:33:31 am »
Hi, I have the latest drivers. Interference could be indeed a cause for this. I will try running Iperf between two computers. Luckily I recently bought an apple mac mini which is also AC enabled. I did not understand though how to do this between A+ and the macbook. Can you elaborate?

A+ runs OpenWRT, so you should be able to SSH in as root.
Once in, iperf may be there, or you may have to use opkg to install it.
iperf is part of OpenWRT's trunk, so it should not require compiling, etc.

I don't have my A+ powered up right now to give details, but I found a lot of good links Googling.

But also, if you're getting such a low connection speed, that implies a lot of interference.
You can rule that out by testing device-to-device with all devices closer to the A+ first,
and/or in a different location.
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 04:45:53 am »
Thanks, but these are way technical for me!  ::)
In order not to have to mess with Iperf, I wanted first to test if the app I use (SpeedyNet) provides credible results.
So, I tested a LAN connection between my Macbook pro retina and an older MacBook (mid-2010).
The results seem pretty normal:

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
Is there a chance that the network speed is downgraded by its weakest link (for example a connected old apple TV which is 802.11 g)?
802.11g is only on the 2.4 Ghz band, so it should not affect the 5ghz band.
However, network speed is downgraded by it's weakest link. (On my old network, I set the wireless to be G-only. It greatly improved speeds)
How are your networks set up? Do you have the 2.4 and 5ghz network assigned the same name, or different? If they're the same, then it's very difficult to force a device to use one band instead of the other.

Here's one more thing you can do to test: Turn off the 2.4ghz radio completely. (You can do this from the touchscreen or web ui.) Run the test again.

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 10:14:54 am »
Good idea to disable the 2.4 network. I will revert upon trying that.
I do however have different names for 2.4 & 5.

Offline xaminmo

• Backer
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 08:25:36 pm »
Thanks, but these are way technical for me!  ::)
In order not to have to mess with Iperf, I wanted first to test if the app I use (SpeedyNet) provides credible results.
So, I tested a LAN connection between my Macbook pro retina and an older MacBook (mid-2010).
The results seem pretty normal:

Am I reading this correctly that it's fast laptop to laptop, but slow laptop to phone?

If so, then it's definitely a limitation with the phone.

All things considered, phones generally don't need near-gigabit speeds.
There is no way to consume or produce that much data.
The secondary storage inside isn't that fast,
and user media consumption is not either.
Geek, pilot, cyclist, parent.

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 07:55:38 am »
UPDATE. I did extensive testing in my house in order to eliminate any interference- there wasn't any. I even renamed the 5ghz network in order to be sure that it is only used by AC enabled devices.
When I tested speed connection between the iPhone 6 and the macbook retina or the mac mini (2014), I had the same results. Speed about 30Mbps either way.
When I tested speed connection between the macbook retina and the mac mini, the results were very good: Around 500Mbps despite the fact that Mac mini is in the next room around 10 meters away from Almond+:

So, in view of the above, I can only assume that there is an issue (bug?) with Almond+ when it connects AC laptops and  AC smartphones.
I do not expect to have the same connection speed, but such a slow speed I think is not normal.
Lars, any thoughts?

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:08 am »
One more thing. iPhone 6 being AC, should produce at least speeds around 250 Mbps and not only 20-30Mbps as in my case.
Here's a related test video :

LGNilsson

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 09:07:57 am »
I'm sorry, but why would you presume it was a bug on our side and not Apple's side?
Apple has had a bunch of Wi-Fi issues with its devices over the years and considering that your notebook and desktop both work fine, the conclusion should be that there's an issue with your phone, not the router.
I can get speeds in excess of 100Mbps on my phone, which isn't an iPhone, but it supports 802.11ac.

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
Ok, I will also test with a friends iPhone 6 and report back.

LGNilsson

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2014, 11:03:55 am »
I think you misunderstand.
I don't think this is a fault with your phone, I think this is an issue affecting the iPhone on a whole.
You're not the only one that has this issue as it seems - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6545103

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 11:19:21 am »
Lars, if you are saying that all new iPhones have this issue, I think you are wrong. Such a serious bug would have caused a lot of publicity and you already saw the video above showing the true speed that it can achieve.
I will test with another unit. If the results are the same, then I think that you need to investigate this issue.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:21:15 am by takisot »

Offline brantflick

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 04:19:39 pm »
I think you need to test your iPhone and a second iPhone against at least one other 802.11ac router to verify that the speed issue is specifically with the Almond+.  Even just one additional router is really not enough to build a case - perhaps that router also has issues.  You'll have to make sure that you're checking multiple brands of wireless chipsets.  Testing ad-hoc to your Mac is not really a good test, as Apple may be working around their own bug with their own products.

Either way this could always be an issue on Apple's side.  I've seen many odd things with Apple products, having supported iOS devices for the past 8 years at several companies.  Slow speed, issues connecting, issues changing networks have always been Apple's fault and they've acknowledged and fixed many of these issues, but some remain and are well documented if you go digging.  Typically Apple does not acknowledge bugs or issues till they release a fix, so it's nearly impossible to get information on open issues directly from them.

Lastly it might be beneficial for you to wait for the firmware release that has fixed wireless drivers.  I personally have some random issues with my iPhone on my Almond+ over wireless, but it doesn't happen all the time.  Since Securifi has admitted that their current firmware has issues with wireless drivers, it's best to verify that the problem remains once they have released a fix.

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 05:20:11 pm »
I took my almond and my MacBook and went to test them to my friend 's house who has also an iPhone 6.
I had the same exact results. I also tested the speed between the two iPhones which was around the same at 30 Mbps.
I want to also test with another AC router but my logic says that there is a big possibility that the problem lies within Almond+.
In any case, I am just providing feedback which could help securify to identify the problem.

LGNilsson

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »
Did you at all look at the link I provided?
You're hardly the only iPhone 6 user that's having Wi-Fi problems.
Again, you state that your Macbook and Mac mini work just fine, so how do you draw the conclusion that the issue is with the Almond+ when they work fine and you're only seeing issues with iPhones?

Offline takisot

• Backer
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2014, 04:41:32 am »
The latest link you mentioned does not report my exact issue and apart from it, I do not experience wifi issues like those reported in the link.
As I told you,I will try to find a different AC router to test. If I achieve higher speed then it should prove that the problem is with Almond.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 19 queries.

bottleneck