bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Quirky Tripper  (Read 15137 times)

Offline jmecherul

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Quirky Tripper
« on: December 29, 2014, 04:31:03 pm »
I bought a few of the Quirky Tripper door/window sensors, but they do not seem to link with the Almond+.  It sees the sensor and tries to add it, but then I get an error.  Supposedly it uses the ZigBee protocol, hopefully not the proprietary extra layer like the Lowe's IRIS ones that cannot be added.  Anybody has any idea or has played with these?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

FCC ID:2AAAH-ZIGWDS01
IC IS: 11309A-ZIGWDS01

LGNilsson

Re: Quirky Tripper
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »
Not something we've tested, I'll make sure we get some if they're ZigBee.

Offline jmecherul

• Backer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:30:13 pm »
Here's a link for them and come in a pack of two for $40.  They are part of the Quirky/Wink+GE design.  They are designed to work with the Wink hub, but seeing that the GE light bulbs work fine with Almond+, I thought these would too being ZigBee

https://www.quirky.com/shop/706

or at Amazon where shipping could be faster: http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-PTRPR-WH01-Tripper-Window-Sensor/dp/B00P7RURIG

Hope they work (maybe a software update or something), as I bought a few of them.

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:19:40 am »
You could remove and re-add them then send the logs to Securifi using the LCD.

LGNilsson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:11:31 am »
It's 20% off the first order direct from Quirky though...  ;)

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 09:36:03 am »
Sadly, the BXSAVE20 code they gave me does not apply to Tripper :P

LGNilsson

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:20:16 am »
Really? Then what use is it?

Offline Ohiomedic

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 04:45:38 pm »
Would love to know if these will eventually work. States to use it you need a Wink hub or Zigbee-enabled Wink-certified hub. Whatever a Wink certified hub is.

http://www.wink.com/help/products/quirkyge-tripper-windowithdoor-sensor/

Offline fillibar

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 06:05:45 pm »
jmecherul,
  Just keep us informed once you get them and can try them out. Zigbee CAN be great but too many companies are doing a little proprietary stuff that messes it all up. The fact that the GE Link bulbs work well despite being pretty strongly bundled with Wink is promising but they specifically state they will work with other Zigbee hubs. Not "Wink-certified" like the support page says for the Tripper. That is worrisome to me.

The fragmentation in home automation is aggravating and problematic. Proprietary layers on top of things that should work together freely (thus preventing them) is even worse. But I can understand companies wanting to get a "lock" on the home automation market. If their method "wins" ala VHS or Blu-ray... they stand to make major money even if they just license it off versus actually making anything.
Almond 3 mesh handling the home.

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 09:59:40 pm »
Considering the GE bulbs work, there are high hopes these will work.
We'll get some, no worries, but I doubt they'll work seamlessly without us adding support for them.
That said, they seem to be working with the same sensor manufacturer that we've worked with so far, so it's 50/50 chance.

As to proprietary layers, even SmartThings tried this, so we have to do a bit of extra work to make their sensors work with the Almond+.
Now they're using CentraLite, so their new sensors are already supported once we release the next firmware.

We try to work with everyone that makes sensors that are 1. available in retail 2. follows the standards and 3. we can get hold of.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:02:43 pm by Lars »

Offline j8048188

• Backer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 10:48:12 am »
We try to work with everyone that makes sensors that are 1. available in retail 2. follows the standards and 3. we can get hold of.
Have you had any luck with Iris branded products, or will those forever be locked in to their own hub only?

LGNilsson

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 11:37:48 pm »
There are some third party efforts here in the forums to try to make them work, but so far I don't think they've had a lot of luck.
We're aware that they're cheap and that's why people want to get them, but I'm not sure if it'll be possible at some point or not.

Offline KP4

• Backer
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 11:44:14 pm »
Would love to know if these will eventually work. States to use it you need a Wink hub or Zigbee-enabled Wink-certified hub. Whatever a Wink certified hub is.

http://www.wink.com/help/products/quirkyge-tripper-windowithdoor-sensor/
I received my Quirky Tripper order from Amazon and its working well with the R069cb Beta.  I'm able to use rules to control the Quirky Tripper to manage the Peanut Plug; now I'm able to turn on a lamp when a door is opened and turn it off after the door is closed.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:47:22 pm by KP4 »

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 02:11:48 pm »
Kp4, you are showing these as working now? Good to know. Thanks.

Offline KP4

• Backer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 07:14:17 pm »
Kp4, you are showing these as working now? Good to know. Thanks.
Yes, it's been working fine for me the past two days.  This is on my second Almond+ which I ordered to use while I'm on extended road trips for the office. Unfortunately, I only have the Quirky Tripper and the Peanut Plug added to this unit. The main unit with all the other sensors is in my second home, but I don't have anyone to install the Quirky Tripper or download the Beta for me. I'm curious to find out if this will work with all the other sensors I have, not just the Peanut Plug I received with the second Almond+.

By the way, as mentioned by others in another thread, the Peanut Plug is only switching on and off; it doesn't register power, current or voltage (it shows zero for all three AC measurements).

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.

bottleneck