Choose style:

Author Topic: Wide swings in download speeds  (Read 5634 times)

Offline EIrouter

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Wide swings in download speeds
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:45:59 pm »
The Almond was installed as a router without incident about a month ago.  Yesterday it seemed very slow so I checked the download speed. It was 297kbps. I connected the laptop to the ISP modem and got 21 mbps.  Later in the day the wifi speed rose to about 6 mbps.  I checked later and for a brief time the wifi speed was about 20 mbps.  What causes such wild variations in download speeds?  The relative positions of router and laptop were unchanged

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Wide swings in download speeds
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:48:55 am »
@ Elrouter

Ideally, wireless speed would not be constant, it would fluctuate but not the way you are experiencing. Please try to connect the laptop directly to the modem and run the speed test at least 3-4 times and check if the modem is giving us a constant speed. If we are receiving a constant speed with the modem then try connecting the laptop hardwired to the Almond and check the speed couple of times to see if Almond is giving a constant speed through hardwired connection or we have the same kind of variations and let us know the status.

Offline EIrouter

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:38:11 am »
When I experienced the slow speed, I hard-wired the laptop to a port on the back of the Almond. I did not remove the modem cable from the Almond and connect it to the laptop.  As I recall I returned the laptop to its normal location and retried the wifi download test.  It was still around 300kbps.  I have checked the modem speed on previous occasions and 20 to 22 mbps is typical.  I can't try anything else at this point since the Almond is 250 miles away.  Please list other suggestions that I can try when we return.  The very low speed occurred several times over a 4 day period.

Thanks

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »
@ Elrouter,

I can completely understand your situation, we have to check what is the hardwired download speed of Almond, so that we can completely work on wireless. However, once you are at that location please contact our support team at (support@securifi.com) who can assist you.

Offline EIrouter

• Acorn
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:41 pm »
I am confused.  I left the Almond connected to the modem and plugged the cable from the laptop into a socket on the back of the Almond when I measured 20 mbps.  Would that not demonstrate the wired  router download speed?  If not how/where do I hook up the laptop?    I will also check the speed   directly from the modem.

I have not downloaded the R200 firmware yet.  Might that help?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:34:59 pm by EIrouter »

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 05:58:54 am »
@ EIrouter,

Thank you for the clarification, if we are receiving an average of 20 Mbps through hardwired, that ensures that Almond is receiving good speeds through modem and it is an issue only on wireless network of Almond. Yes, please update the software to R200 and perform a factory reset and reconfigure the Almond in Router mode back and check the performance of the wireless network.

Offline EIrouter

• Acorn
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:07 am »
Hopefully this is my last entry.   I saw in the manual that "As long as your Almond is already connected to the
Internet, it’ll automatically search for new updates and allow you to install any update that’s available."   Is this fully automatic such as a Windows update or is it made available but not installed until it is authorized when the software update button is touched?

If the reset button is pushed, I assume that the entire router setup process must be repeated.  Is that correct?

Thanks

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 11:11:31 am »
@ EIrouter,

Software update is not automatic, we are still working on it and till then we have to tap the software update to update it to the latest version. Yes, performing a factory reset would restore the complete settings to the defaults and we have to reconfigure it back. If you are still having the same issue then please do get in touch with our support team at (support@securifi.com) who would take care of this for you.

Offline EIrouter

• Acorn
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:42:58 am »
Thanks for your help! 

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:03:17 pm »
@ EIrouter,

You are most welcome and thank you for all your time and patience with us.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck