bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Attached device not getting an IP address  (Read 2664 times)

Offline NogginTheNog

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Attached device not getting an IP address
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:42:39 am »
Hi,

I have my Almond+ connected to my existing router to provide some extra ports etc.  I've plugged in a device (a Seagate Goflex Home) to the Almond+, and it can see it has been connected, but hasn't provided it an IP address.  I would have thought it would use the DHCP from the first router.  Is there any way to either assign an ip address to the attached device, or get it to use DHCP?

Thanks,

Nigel

Offline eldaria

• Kickstarter Developer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Attached device not getting an IP address
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:56:01 am »
By default the A+ will assume that you connect the router directly to the internet. So it will be set to Router mode, so will provide it's own Firewall and DHCP.

Using an A+ to "provide extra ports" sound like a bit overkill. For this I suggest you get a switch, the A+ will use more energy than for example a simple Switch.
If you really want to use the A+ for this then configure it in AP(Access point) mode instead. You can also log into the OpenWRT interface and just turn of the DHCP server, then you can use the 4 switch ports just as you would any other switch.

-Edit-
By the way just thought of something.
You said your devices do not get an IP at all?
This is not correct behaviour, by default they should get an IP, however it could be that if your main router is in the same IP range as the Almond+ then they might conflict, try setting it differently from the LCD GUI.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:58:47 am by eldaria »

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.