bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Separate DNS on Almond  (Read 16214 times)

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Separate DNS on Almond
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:07:35 am »
I need to be able to use a specific DNS to allow me to access things like BBC iPlayer on my satellite receiver. I have to use DHCP on my router for my internet phone service to work.

I would be connecting the Almond to a CPL next to my television equipment  and want to know if it is possible tort it to a different DNS than that used on my router?

LGNilsson

Re: Separate DNS on Almond
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:36 am »
It depends on how you've set up your Almond.
Normally I wouldn't suggest setting up a router behind a router, but the Almond works quite well even like this and it would then be possible to set it up as you'd want.

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:55 am »
Thanks, Lars. I'll order today and give it a try!

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:49:01 am »
I've received my Almond, but if I try setting  the connection to Manual IP, then put in the DNS I need to connect to UnoTelly, the Almond can't connect to the internet. If I let it connect through DHLCP, everything is fine. I tried leaving the primary DNS set up the way it was and only changing the secondary DNS (as mentioned in another thread) but that doesn't resolve the issue.

The was really the main reason I purchased the Almond. Can you give me any suggestions? Thanks.

Essoh

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:14 am »
I don't know if what I did will help but I tried exactly what you said and it seems working for me. I mean the internet connection came back few seconds after clicking on Apply.

So I changed the Internet Connection Type to STATIC (Fixed IP) in the web ui page of Almond in router mode.

I used these DNS:
 23.21.182.24 (primary DNS)
184.169.139.227 (secondary DNS)

I got these DNS from : http://currentdns.unotelly.com/

Maybe that depends on the region also...Hope other suggestions will help..

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:22:24 am »
Still won't work for me. As soon as I try connecting via Manual IP, I can no longer connect to the internet.

Essoh

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:54:22 pm »
Ok I assume that you are changing the DNS settings using the touchscreen which would not allow you to connect to the Internet.
You may instead make changes using Almond web interface. To access the Almond web interface and to make the changes with the dns, please do the followings:

To login to the Almond web interface, please tap the "Web Administer" on the Almond LCD Panel to access the URL and username/password to login to the web interface.

After login to the web interface, please click on "Network"

Then change primary dns to 23.21.182.24 or to whatever dns you have
And change the secondary dns to 184.169.139.227 or to whatever dns you have

And click "Apply".

I am sure now it will work for you...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:00:41 pm by Essoh »

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:09:11 pm »
Ok I assume that you are changing the DNS settings using the touchscreen which would not allow you to connect to the Internet.
You may instead make changes using Almond web interface. To access the Almond web interface and to make the changes with the dns, please do the followings:

To login to the Almond web interface, please tap the "Web Administer" on the Almond LCD Panel to access the URL and username/password to login to the web interface.

And click "Apply".

Essoh: 

I just tried your configuration here,  and I concur with you that this should work.  Although to be completely honest I don't understand why he can't simply use those DNS Servers on his main Router.  (They seem to be fully functional DNS servers, even from here in Canada). 

If the main router uses these as it's external DNS servers,  but provides it's own internal IP address as the "only" DNS Server on the internal network,  this would allow all network clients to get answers to their DNS queries directly from the main router.   (It will not matter whether the query is for a local device on the local network,  or a system on the Internet --- The local Router should be able to satisfy all queries.

For Home users,  this is how DNS should be setup anyway.  Only the actual Router should know about external DNS servers.  All other devices,  including all Access Points and Range Extenders should be using the main Router as their only DNS server. 

Unlike external DNS servers,  the Router should know all about local equipment on the local network,  and yet can still "answer" requests for external systems,  as the main router simply queries the upstream DNS servers,  and then passes the information back to the device that made the original query.   

The main router will even "cache" the information,  so duplicate requests for the same external system will be answered by the main Router,  without further upstream requests for the same information,  unless the TTL (time to live) period has expired on the DNS data.

The type of configuration being discussed in this thread,  is typically only required deal with GeoIP Filters forbidding access to the BBC from outside the UK.  Most people seem to solve this problem using VPN's so that they "appear" to be in UK when they access the BBC.  Satellite changes GeoIP filtering's effectiveness,  but it doesn't change British Copyright Laws,  or Content Licencing laws.  (The BBC uses GeoIP filtering to ensure that their UK-only licenced content is not distributed outside the UK).  American broadcaster CBS does the same thing in the USA.  Canadians such as myself that live near the US-Canada border can pick up American Radio signals "over the air",  but we can't access CBS Internet streaming sites over the Internet due to GeoIP filtering. 

Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:16 am »
I use a smart DNS rather than a VPN for several reasons, one of which is  speed and the other is because my satellite receiver isn't set up for VPN use. I have internet phone service through my ISP, and the router settings must be set  to DHCP, or the phone won't work. Most of my equipment (ipad, AppleTV, etc.) let's me set DNS and those work fine, but the Freesat box I use won't let users change those settings, so the only way to get around the geolocalisation is to have a router that can be set to a different DNS.

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:29:56 am »

And click "Apply".

I tried this, but my browser seems unable to find the Almond at the URL  provided on the Admin screen. It is definitely connected to my network.  I tried through both my iPad and my Mac with no success. I connected it directly to my modem/router via LAN and also tried directly connecting it to my desktop. Neither method worked. I'm clearly missing something.

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:32 am »
I tried this, but my browser seems unable to find the Almond at the URL  provided on the Admin screen. It is definitely connected to my network.  I tried through both my iPad and my Mac with no success. I connected it directly to my modem/router via LAN and also tried directly connecting it to my desktop. Neither method worked. I'm clearly missing something.

I finally resolved this by using a Windows laptop that we had lying around. I guess the Mac and the Almond didn't like each other, or else maybe it was Safari. At any rate, I did the suggested configuration and it does work. Although  I can get around geolocalization for some things, but not others. I'm assuming it has to do with using secondary DNS, but that's not the Almond's fault. 

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Essoh

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:39 am »
Good.

You may also change the dns of your client device (Tv or computer) you want to use by accessing the Open Network and Sharing Center.

That may help accessing some other tools.

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:37:33 pm »
Good.

You may also change the dns of your client device (Tv or computer) you want to use by accessing the Open Network and Sharing Center.

That may help accessing some other tools.

Is this under the network settings on the Almond?

Essoh

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:37 pm »
No, I am talking about the client devices. Not on Almond. If you have the possibility to change the dns on your TV for example. That can help.

Offline Rloff

• Acorn
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 04:27:14 am »
No, I am talking about the client devices. Not on Almond. If you have the possibility to change the dns on your TV for example. That can help.

Unfortunately, the satellite receiver doesn't allow one to make modifications. Yes, on the devices I can modify everything works perfectly. Sadly, not all manufacturers are so accommodating!

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.