Choose style:

Author Topic: Hose Timers?  (Read 6154 times)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Hose Timers?
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:29:25 pm »
Anyone seen any hose timers that are zigbee / z wave based? I know Orbit has one for Iris that is I believe a zigbee sensor based on the forums I came across for integration with Smartthings. As a budding gardener who already uses automatic timers I'd love to add / experiment with some for control with weather and remote access. Has anyone tried the Iris one out?

Offline tgryffyn

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Hose Timers?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 08:36:28 pm »
I have a SmartThings system and was able to add the Peanut plug that came with my A+ to it.  I believe the Peanut is Zigbee and SmartThings only supports the Zigbee HA profile, if I recall.   Zwave is standardized so any Zwave device should work with any Zwave system.   I only mention because this should mean that A+ at least does the Zigbee HA profile.  Haven't looked to see what other profiles it does (probably going to use my SmartThings system for most of my devices but like the option to use the A+ as well).

Anyway, saw this thread on the SmartThings forum.  Seems that Iris/Orbit works with SmartThings, at least connections.  Someone said it should work as a simple on/off switch and that it's Zwave.  Sounds like it should work with A+.

http://community.smartthings.com/t/orbit-sprinkler-timer-iris/1662/4

LGNilsson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:01 pm »
Z-Wave might be "standardized", but it doesn't mean any Z-Wave device will work with any Z-Wave gateway, as the gateway needs to understand what kind of sensor it is, or you won't be able to control it. That said, the same goes for ZigBee. That said, what we've found is that many ZigBee devices that we haven't even tested, still work, such as the Quirky door sensor, the GE and WeMo bulbs etc.

All home automation gateways that support ZigBee would be supporting the HA profile, although this is set to change from next year when there will be a transition to ZigBee 3.0.

If the Orbit sprinkler controller works as a binary switch, then we might support it, but even so, there are about four or five different types of binary switches, so there's no guarantee it'll work.

Offline lunarose23

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:49:50 am »
I have the Iris Orbit and it does not work. It will pair but not connect or turn it on and off. After some reading, the Smart Things community has figured out several things- one of which is that it needs a time to be sent when connecting. Here's the link - in case you decide to support it - (I really hope you do!) http://community.smartthings.com/t/orbit-sprinkler-timer-iris/1662/13

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.