Choose style:

Author Topic: Set up OK but cannot get laptop to connect ... help please!  (Read 3631 times)

Offline MimiJane

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Set up OK but cannot get laptop to connect ... help please!
« on: February 14, 2015, 06:18:10 pm »
I have a (wired) desktop set-up upstairs and want to be able to use my lap-top downstairs wirelessly.

I've had no problem setting up the Almond as an extender, but cannot get my laptop to connect to the wi-fi Almond connection displayed.  I appreciate this is most probably to do with my Samsung laptop and not the Almond, but I'm pretty much a novice and need some help!  The laptop is a few years old and I've tried to set up a new network connection, but I'm being asked for a 4 or 8 digit pin on my (PlusNet) router and I cannot see anything on my router set-up card relating to a pin - there's certainly no 4 or 8 digit number.  I really want this to work and the signal looks great - so frustrating!  Can anyone help me please?

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Set up OK but cannot get laptop to connect ... help please!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:28 pm »
@MimiJane,

In Range Extender mode Almond would carry the same password as your main wireless router network. However, in your case please look for an option which might say "I don't have pin and I want to enter the network key or passphrase instead" and then enter your wireless network password, it should work.

Offline MimiJane

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Set up OK but cannot get laptop to connect ... help please!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 11:10:03 am »
Solved it thanks by googling extensively!

The problem was the _Almond extension on the end of my PlusNet wi-fi address which appeared on the Almond screen when I configured it.  Once I deleted this, it worked fine.  It actually wasn't visible without tapping it to see it in full but, even if it had been, I wouldn't have had a clue!  Can't find anything relating to this in the rather brief "instructions", which is more than a little annoying as I spent so much time trying to resolve it (and it only took a few seconds to put it right).

Anyway, now it's working, I'm very happy with it so far and have the full 5 bar signal downstairs.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 17 queries.