Choose style:

Author Topic: Almond works as Router and Access Point but not as Range Extender  (Read 29850 times)

Offline ctanna

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
I have a Comcast Xfinity router.  When I connect the Almond to the Xfinity with an ethernet cable, I can use the Almond as a router or an access point.

But when I try to use the Almond as a wireless range extender (which is what I want it to be), it says that the Xfinity is not connected to the internet (which is false).

What do I need to do to get the Almond to recognize that the Xfinity is connected to the internet?

Offline Patrick Wilson

• Cashew
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Re: Almond works as Router and Access Point but not as Range Extender
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:24:27 am »
I have a Comcast Xfinity router.  When I connect the Almond to the Xfinity with an ethernet cable, I can use the Almond as a router or an access point.

But when I try to use the Almond as a wireless range extender (which is what I want it to be), it says that the Xfinity is not connected to the internet (which is false).

What do I need to do to get the Almond to recognize that the Xfinity is connected to the internet?

If you already have a Router in place,  (the Xfinity),  then you probably want to use the Almond as a "Access Point".  In the mode you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN Ports on the Xfinity,  and connect it to the Gray WAN Port on the Almond.

The rest is relatively easy.   Access the TouchUI on the Almond.

• Find and click on the "Access Point" tile.
  • Click Enable
  • Verify your work: Click the Home button
  • Click on the "Status Tile"

You'll note for the Status screen shown above that Almond has successfully accessed the main Router,  and has set it's IP address to 10.77.13.79 via DHCP.
I can now access the Almond in my Web Browser at: http://10.77.13.79/

Please give this a try...
Patrick Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

Essoh

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »
I think you have to verify few thinks:
- The software on Almond must be "AL1-R196-L299-W33".
You can check that by clicking on  "more" many times on Almond touchscreen until you reach the last page and then click on "about".
 - The distance between Almond and your main router (Xfinity) should not be more than 20 feet or 30 feet in order to have a continuous signal between both devices.
- You may also reset almond to the default settings (by pressing with a sharp object on the small button between the black Ethernet ports and the power plug) and then set up Almond as a Range extender again.

I hope this will help..

Offline jschulman

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 04:45:13 pm »
If you already have a Router in place,  (the Xfinity),  then you probably want to use the Almond as a "Access Point".  In the mode you would connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN Ports on the Xfinity,  and connect it to the Gray WAN Port on the Almond.

The rest is relatively easy.   Access the TouchUI on the Almond.

• Find and click on the "Access Point" tile.
  • Click Enable
  • Verify your work: Click the Home button
  • Click on the "Status Tile"

You'll note for the Status screen shown above that Almond has successfully accessed the main Router,  and has set it's IP address to 10.77.13.79 via DHCP.
I can now access the Almond in my Web Browser at: http://10.77.13.79/

Please give this a try...

Patrick, I am thinking of buying this same product and also have an Xfinity, but why get this if it has to be connected to the Xfinity?  I, too, want to use it as a range extender.  Is there no way this can be done without direct connection?

Thanks,

Jay

Offline Ashok

• Securifi Staff
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »
Hi jschulman,

You can connect the Almond in Range Extender mode with out an Ethernet connection from the main router, so that it picks up the wireless signals and extends it. However, if you have a switch/wall jack/Ethernet outlet where you have Ethernet cable with internet connectivity at your Almond's location, you can use Almond in Access Point mode. If the environment supports we personally suggest using the Almond in Access point mode, because there would be almost no speed drops because it is hardwired all the time and Access point mode is nothing but hard wired Range Extender.

Best Regards,
Ashok Kumar,
Securifi Technical Support.

Offline wwchan

YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:17:06 am »
Hi, I also just bought almond and tried to use it as ranger extender. I am having xfinity X1. I have latest firmware. Went thru the setup without problem but at the end Almond is disconnected from internet. I do not want to use it as access point. Please help or I have to return it. Thanks

Offline lkhall

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:49:16 am »
Hi wwchan,

I'm having the exact same problem as you are. I have xfinity and in range extender mode after setting it up it will disconnect after a few minutes. Posted my problem a couple of weeks ago with no response. I to am thinking of returning my almond.

Offline tech_geek_nh

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 09:31:31 pm »
Hi wwchan and lkhall,

I also recently got the Almond, and used it in extender mode.  I was also having this disconnect issue, but have fixed it.  You should check to make sure your Almond has the latest firmware.  The software update button does not actually check/update the software.  Press this button anyway to check the version.  It should be AL1-R200-L302-W33.  If it isn't, then update the software using the instructions in this forum.

Offline wwchan

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:35:38 pm »
Yes I updated to the latest firmware as you indicated. I tried it on AT&T DSL and works fine. But still not work with xfinity. Just like before it says disconnected after finishing the setup/configuration.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:36:29 am by wwchan »

Offline manmark11

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:30:58 am »
I've updated the firmware but am still having connectivity/throughput issues for devices using the Almond.  Any other thoughts?

Amritendu

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:23:22 pm »
Connectivity and throughput would largely depend on environmental factors like distance,  number of connected devices, encryption type of the primary router. The software update fixed the bug which was noticed on previous version, where Almond would fail to connect as Range Extender if the router's channel is on anything other than 1 or set on auto (connection lost while waiting for IP). Throughput is something that can't be addressed with any software update, since the trade off between extended range and overall throughput stands true under all circumstances (upto 30-40% speed drop is common between extended network and primary network).

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 20 queries.

bottleneck