bottleneck
Choose style:

Author Topic: Any luck with IRIS motion sensor and Almond+  (Read 8693 times)

Offline addezai

• Peanut
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Any luck with IRIS motion sensor and Almond+
« on: January 22, 2015, 11:53:24 am »
Hi Guys,

I got my Almond+ few days back and i have started exploring the Automation/Sensors features of the device. I have existing z-wave devices with Vera Lite controller which I will eventually move to Almond+ once Automation is ready for general use by Securi-Fi. Till that time I am experimenting connectivity of different sensors in isolated manner (one sensor at a time to test the connectivity and communication/events/triggers). What I found is most of the Lowes IRIS sensors are cost effective and implements  Zigbee protocol. Since Almond+ supports Zigbee does anyone able to pair/include/add any IRIS sensor with Almond+?

Is SecuriFi planning to come-up with any generic device templates to add third party Zwave/Zigbee devices?

Thanks in advance,

Offline j8048188

• Backer
Re: Any luck with IRIS motion sensor and Almond+
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 01:24:48 pm »
The IRIS sensors use a proprietary protocol so they can't be used with any non-iris products. Otherwise, I'd be using several IRIS door/window sensors :)

Offline mparadis

• Backer
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 01:34:19 pm »
A bunch of third party stuff works already, as Securifi sold only a few different sensors to backers in the beginning most of what people are working with are third party devices. That said, not all types of devices work, they need to be implemented. The best way to find out if they work if you have one is to pair and test it. If you don't own one, ask on the forums here (like you did for the motion sensor) after checking the wiki with the list (in the stickies under tested devices) and search the site. As j8048188 mentioned Iris tends to have something proprietary built into their protocol layers. I don't know if it is all their devices or only certain ones and I am not sure if Securifi can add those devices without the manufacturer input / assistance or if they plan too.

Edit: @j8048188, check out the quirky tripper. Same price point (but in packages of two @ $40) and confirmed by several members of the forum to be working fully. They are carried on the quirky / wink websites (though out of stock on both of those last I checked), amazon (with free shipping) and I imagine eventually on Home Depot's website and at their brick and mortars. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a few of mine.

I checked around and they are the cheapest z wave / zigbee motion sensor I could find AND they apparently work with A+ out of the box. I'd love to see something cheaper for just a basic sensor like this but who knows if that'll come around.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:03:38 pm by mparadis »

Offline j8048188

• Backer

Offline mparadis

• Backer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:06:45 pm »
Edit: @j8048188, check out the quirky tripper. Same price point (but in packages of two @ $40) and confirmed by several members of the forum to be working fully. They are carried on the quirky / wink websites (though out of stock on both of those last I checked), amazon (with free shipping) and I imagine eventually on Home Depot's website and at their brick and mortars. I am currently awaiting the arrival of a few of mine.

I checked around and they are the cheapest z wave / zigbee motion sensor I could find AND they apparently work with A+ out of the box. I'd love to see something cheaper for just a basic sensor like this but who knows if that'll come around.

Ended up posting this after another response so just moving it down for all to see.

Offline addezai

• Peanut
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51:22 pm »
Thanks  j8048188 and mparadise for a quick and helpful response.   

Offline sorphin

• Backer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 05:13:06 pm »
The IRIS sensors use a proprietary protocol so they can't be used with any non-iris products. Otherwise, I'd be using several IRIS door/window sensors :)

It's not so much a 'proprietary protocol' as it is different zigbee messages..  I have iris sensors working with an xbee series 2 module (just like the deserthome guy does) with a raspberry pi.. I had planned on working on integrating that support into A+ stuff (and working with Matt on it), but I haven't even really had time to do very much A+ related in months. I agree their sensors are cheaper, but with the pending release of the Peanut, which should match or beat the cost of the Iris plug.. all that's left is the door/window sensors, and I'm sure Securifi could do something similar with those too if they wanted, which would negate the whole point. Maybe someday, I'll actually get the time finally.. I wanted to do it.. I have a ton of logs on iris related stuff, and the scripts that work now for on a Pi. I'd have to do it the roundabout way via Matt's mochad, since there is no 3rd party link in for sensors. (Believe me, I've tried, Lars has tried, and it's went nowhere)

Offline Automate

• Backer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »
IRIS supports both Zwave and Zigbee devices and just about all of their devices are actually made by a third parties (such as First Alert smoke detectors).  The motion sensors being Zigbee devices do not work with Almond+ but some of the Zwave IRIS devices will  work with Almond+

Offline toppquality

• Peanut
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »
I have tried all the iris sensors... none work. I do have several of the Iris z-wave items working though.

LGNilsson

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 09:52:07 pm »
Did you reset/remove them before you tried adding them to the Almond+?
A Z-Wave device has to be reset/removed/unpaired before you can add/pair them again.
You can do this using the Remove option under Add Sensors and by pressing the button on the sensor.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 17 queries.

bottleneck